Midas Blenny? Go!

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 1 very peaceful swims about for a while goes and hides in his hole comes back out 2 mins later and its on repeat with him doing that very easy imo

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair that spend a lot of time out and about. They Don bother anything in my tank the bigger one just chases the smaller one now and again.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a Midas blenny... it instantly decided it was the new tank boss and has zero fear in pestering much larger fish. Chases the tang and wrasse around! Only plus to that is I've seen my melanurus flashing his fins at the blenny and it's so pretty, lol. Kind of annoying that the Midas is a little bit of a punk, but it's a beautiful fish and very active. Mine is more of a darker golden-pink color.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230129_205644_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230129_205644_Gallery.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a Midas blenny... it instantly decided it was the new tank boss and has zero fear in pestering much larger fish. Chases the tang and wrasse around! Only plus to that is I've seen my melanurus flashing his fins at the blenny and it's so pretty, lol. Kind of annoying that the Midas is a little bit of a punk, but it's a beautiful fish and very active. Mine is more of a darker golden-pink color.
That one looks cool! Way better than the brown ones I’ve seen.

MoMoTheMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my first one from it jumping out of the QT tank with a small opening in the lid by the filter.

I recently got a new one. My Royal Gramma hated him at first. But as long as the blenny stays away from the Gramma's cave he doesn't care. My tomini tang is usually the one that bullies newcomers, but he could careless about him.

My new buddy is always greeting me and uses a leather coral as his home. It's been an awesome addition to my tank.

20230127_123755.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my first one from it jumping out of the QT tank with a small opening in the lid by the filter.

I recently got a new one. My Royal Gramma hated him at first. But as long as the blenny stays away from the Gramma's cave he doesn't care. My tomini tang is usually the one that bullies newcomers, but he could careless about him.

My new buddy is always greeting me and uses a leather coral as his home. It's been an awesome addition to my tank.

20230127_123755.jpg
Great photo!

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one--love it. Easy fish, in my opinion. Always out and about when I'm around (looking for food--mine's a pig). No agression towards any other fish in my tank.
Yep...agreed! Mine is a greedy pig. Has his hidey hole in the rocks, but knows when it's feeding time!...aside from that he's usually always out checking the upper tank water.

Don't worry if he color changes for the 1st 3 weeks...he's just getting comfortable!

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep...agreed! Mine is a greedy pig. Has his hidey hole in the rocks, but knows when it's feeding time!...aside from that he's usually always out checking the upper tank water.

Don't worry if he color changes for the 1st 3 weeks...he's just getting comfortable!
Do they all turn yellow like the canary Blennies?

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they all turn yellow like the canary Blennies?
They will turn blue/purple 1st few days in tank.....that's just them getting settled in... don't worry about it. Feed them as much as you you can...give them A hidey hole in your rocks work.....they will be great and stay golden after 2 mos...!!!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will turn blue/purple 1st few days in tank.....that's just them getting settled in... don't worry about it. Feed them as much as yit you can...give them A hidey hole in your rocks work.....they will be great and stay golden after 2 moa.
Unless they are the variety that is purple rather than yellow...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The midas blenny is usually a golden yellow color but they can change and darken their color when frightened or stressed. Some fish from the coast of Africa have a purple coloration instead of yellow. They always have dazzling blue eyes."

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this post because my Midas blenny was bullying my juvenile yellow tang enough for me to take him out.

mattb2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my midas out yesterday. Constantly harassing my firefish, anthias, clowns and my silver belly wrasse, chewed the wrasse a gooden. This was in a 100g

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m thinking of getting a Midas Blenny for my 90 gal. Right now the first 2 fish are 2 weeks before QT release. A Blue Hippo Tang and Tomini Tang. Next up is a Female Japanese Swallowtail Angel, then a pair of clowns.

Who has or had Midas Blennies?
Are they easy or tough?
Tank bullies or peacemakers?
Active or hiders?

I know there’s some color variations and I’d really dig a yellow one. If I get one, I’ll probably QT with the Angel. My QT is a 33gal cube.

Thanks!

We get a lot of Midas blenny posts over in the fish disease forum, here is a link to a thread about the issue that they can have:

Jay

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one looks cool! Way better than the brown ones I’ve seen.
He changes his colors a bit depending on mood, similar to how most blennies do. But overall, I've noticed it mentioned online that there are more typically "golden" Midas and then there are some found in different areas that look a bit darker in color/less yellow. I love that mine ended up the pinkish-gold with yellow on the face. When stressed it does change to a much darker color for a bit. :)

Back