Midas Blenny going at Clownfish?

Tyler B.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as fish go I only have the Midas Blenny and 2 Clownfish currently in a 40G Breeder tank.

I purchased the Midas Blenny approximately 2 weeks ago and everything appears to be going well. I try to feed 2-3 times a day pellets/flake and then 0.5-1 cubes of mysis shrimp towards the end of the day. I believe it started recently as I did not notice fin damage to the clowns until just today. I hope I didn't neglect to notice something like this but perhaps it was longer.

As far as swimming behavior goes, the Midas sometimes swims alongside the clowns and then they appear to shy away from him, perhaps it could be a dominance display? On one occasion I've seen him do this and almost lunge at the clownfish after a bit as if he wanted the clown to get away.

I'm not sure of the root cause of the problem to be honest. Could it be some factor like these:
  • Not enough fish in the tank (Disperse aggression? Only 3 in the tank right now and I've been having a bit of trouble choosing and finding fish at the LFS)
  • Not enough food (Bellies don't seem sunken and I'm trying to feed more times a day)
  • Tank size (40G could be too small? When I got the Midas I didn't realize just how big he was, seems to be 4-5" so the clowns don't defend themselves?)
    • All fish also seem to favor the right side of the tank also
  • Timeframe (He's only been in the tank for 2 weeks so he's still settling in?)
  • Clownfish are nipping at each other (Didn't want to disregard this possibility. Haven't physically seen the Midas ripping off the fins so he could just visually be the aggressor and not physically. Have had the clownfish for approximately 2-3 months now)

What are your guys opinions on the matter? Is this something that would warrant taking him back to the fish store, everyone loves his character and looks but I'd rather take him back if he is going to keep stressing/damaging the clowns (maybe future fish as well). The onus falls on me if I placed him in too small of a tank, but I didn't expect to see this happen.

Video taken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLwWDBnLg7M

OP
OP
T

Tyler B.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a midas and two clownfish in my 160-gallon and they basically ignore each other. Zero aggression issues, but I also have a larger tank. Maybe they're just curious?
Could very well be, I think it might also be that the clownfish like the back right corner and his hole is relatively close by so that might cause some aggression.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 64 27.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back