Midas blenny in a 24g?

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bicolor blenny that started to pick at my frogspawn. I plan to take it back to my Lfs tomorrow and get another fish instead. Could I replace it with a Midas blenny? My tank is a 24g cube with 20lbs of live rock with plenty of holes and swim throughs. The only other tank mates are a clown and a Royal gramma. I also plan on adding a yasha goby pistol shrimp pair. Do y’all think there would be any aggression between the blenny and goby because of similar body shape? I’d appreciate anyone’s input!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bicolor blenny that started to pick at my frogspawn. I plan to take it back to my Lfs tomorrow and get another fish instead. Could I replace it with a Midas blenny? My tank is a 24g cube with 20lbs of live rock with plenty of holes and swim throughs. The only other tank mates are a clown and a Royal gramma. I also plan on adding a yasha goby pistol shrimp pair. Do y’all think there would be any aggression between the blenny and goby because of similar body shape? I’d appreciate anyone’s input!
Blennies and gobies got along in my 40g breeder just fine. I’d check our live aquaria.com. They have info on fish compatibility and tank size specifications. I love my Midas Blenny!

OP
OP
B

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies and gobies got along in my 40g breeder just fine. I’d check our live aquaria.com. They have info on fish compatibility and tank size specifications. I love my Midas Blenny!
Thank you for the help!

lqdpoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the help!
Not sure if it’s too late but be cautious adding a Midus Blenny. They can be aggressive. I had one back in the day that was a bully amd I thought I had a rouge one. I have new one in a 100g and it’s still a punk. Probably going to get rid of him, he’s stressing everyone else. I’d avoid from my experience!

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of your tank is a bit small for a Midas, but he'd probably be OK. They aren't big swimmers. I kept mine in my 32g biocube and he did very well. I haven't seen much aggression from mine though he is definitely an assertive fish. Unless you get near his hole - he will absolutely put you in your place if you come near his hole. He's in a 65g now, and the first few times my Tomini tang cleaned near his hole he got VERY upset. I have also seen him grab snails and hermits that got in or near his hole and violently slam them to the sand LOL. Didn't hurt them of course, but he is very clear you are not welcome in his home!

I do not think he would both a yasha at all. They'll be in different parts of the tank.

OP
OP
B

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it’s too late but be cautious adding a Midus Blenny. They can be aggressive. I had one back in the day that was a bully amd I thought I had a rouge one. I have new one in a 100g and it’s still a punk. Probably going to get rid of him, he’s stressing everyone else. I’d avoid from my experience!
Thanks for the input! I ended up getting a tailspot blenny I’d love to keep a Midas in the future.

Back