Midas Blenny QT Aggression

kadewin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Midas blenny, 3 firefish, and a Melanurus Wrasse in my 40g QT. I noticed early on that the Wrasse had damage on his rear fin. Today I also noticed that the Blenny was chasing a firefish. I’m fairly certain at this point that the Midas blenny is nipping fins. If I separate the blenny, will a 10g be okay? Is there another way to reduce aggression without setting up another qt?

OP
OP
K

kadewin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Midas blenny, 3 firefish, and a Melanurus Wrasse in my 40g QT. I noticed early on that the Wrasse had damage on his rear fin. Today I also noticed that the Blenny was chasing a firefish. I’m fairly certain at this point that the Midas blenny is nipping fins. If I separate the blenny, will a 10g be okay? Is there another way to reduce aggression without setting up another qt?
DF558E17-8D3F-4DD2-B7BA-6083F3C3CA46.jpeg

The1HunnT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! 10 gallons will be fine. Tbh I set up a .5 gallon qt that hangs on the display tank. To be clear it gets water from the display so it’s solely for breeding and aggression. This size was fine for my Midas Blenny for 5 days.

I do have to say that you should prepare for the possibility that they won’t be compatible. I LOVE Goldie (my African Midas) but I did have my fire fish die and had to remove my fairy wrasse because well, she’s a bit of a bully with anything long and lean like her!

have hope though! These things often work out once territory is established. Change the rockwork while Midas is out and put whatever the Midas might like to live in: way to the far side of the tank.

I’ve found the worst issues are when the Midas picks a spot in the middle and the wrasses swim by constantly—as they do!

once my Midas established in a crater on the right side of the tank he stopped picking on everything besides the fire fish. Which is a bummer as I love them and now am way too afraid to get a scissor tail I had my eye on.

best of luck!

-CT- :)

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this issue at the beginning as well, I got an in tank acclimation box and put the blenny in there for a couple of days and making sure he was well fed, after the third day I let him out and all was solved…
Now I don’t add the new fishes directly to tank, always put them in there for 2 days minimum and it helps the local citizens of your reef to accept the new additions.
Hope it helps!

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blenny are notorious fin nippers. Something I have kinda just accepted and not worried about. I can’t tell you how many times my Royal Grammas fins have been nipped, but they recover in a matter of days

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back