Might have solved my heat problem...

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has always been on the warm side and I am thinking it could be from my return pump. To test this I would like to turn off my return pump and thus cutting off all filtration. I have 6 fish most of which r smaller than 4 inches. I have plenty of powerheads for circulation but how long could I go without using the filtration safely? No corals but I do have an anemone (the reason I want to get the temp down in the first place). Thx to all who respond

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has always been on the warm side and I am thinking it could be from my return pump. To test this I would like to turn off my return pump and thus cutting off all filtration. I have 6 fish most of which r smaller than 4 inches. I have plenty of powerheads for circulation but how long could I go without using the filtration safely? No corals but I do have an anemone (the reason I want to get the temp down in the first place). Thx to all who respond

If I may ask what your system's temperature been running at?

While the pump is running, is it warm to touch?

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may ask what your system's temperature been running at?

While the pump is running, is it warm to touch?
The temp of the water is 82 and the temp taken with an infrared reader is currently 92 with a want blowing on it. No fan and it goes up to 160 (and yes it is warm to touch)

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sry I seem to have left alot of important stuff out! My tank is 72g and I don't know what pump it is but I do know it's external

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp of the water is 82 and the temp taken with an infrared reader is currently 92 with a want blowing on it. No fan and it goes up to 160 (and yes it is warm to touch)

I'd say that's definitely warm and could cause your issues. I'd start looking for a new pump, as getting hot is a sign of bearings failing.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard DC pumps r especially cool. Do they work well?

Last edited:

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DC pumps are definitly the way to go, you wont need a valve on the return pump like you would on ac pumps. When you dial back the flow on an a pump you actually force the pump to work harder with the back pressure which will eventually take a toll on it (some pumps take alot longer than others) but all will make them draw more current. Eith a dc pump the co thriller actually slows to pump electrically by supplying less power to it to dial on your flow rate.

I also was having an issue with excessive heat in my tank, not to the point of a problem, but I noticed my heater was almost never coming on and my tank was reaching 80 degrees even during the winter and my chiller would actually turn on once in awhile. so I know something was up. After checking everything I found my skimmer pump(Ac powered sicce 1000) was getting about 95° on the surface... I took it apart and cleaned it and let it run and it was better but still too hot (85°) so the pump had to go. I bought a replacement and the temp was ambient meaning same as the water or air around it putting off no heat.
I actually just upgraded my whole sump and bought a new skimmer with a DC pump and honestly I wish I did sooner. It's so much quieter and so much more efficient and its 2x the size.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DC pumps are definitly the way to go, you wont need a valve on the return pump like you would on ac pumps. When you dial back the flow on an a pump you actually force the pump to work harder with the back pressure which will eventually take a toll on it (some pumps take alot longer than others) but all will make them draw more current. Eith a dc pump the co thriller actually slows to pump electrically by supplying less power to it to dial on your flow rate.

I also was having an issue with excessive heat in my tank, not to the point of a problem, but I noticed my heater was almost never coming on and my tank was reaching 80 degrees even during the winter and my chiller would actually turn on once in awhile. so I know something was up. After checking everything I found my skimmer pump(Ac powered sicce 1000) was getting about 95° on the surface... I took it apart and cleaned it and let it run and it was better but still too hot (85°) so the pump had to go. I bought a replacement and the temp was ambient meaning same as the water or air around it putting off no heat.
I actually just upgraded my whole sump and bought a new skimmer with a DC pump and honestly I wish I did sooner. It's so much quieter and so much more efficient and its 2x the size.

Hope this helps.
Definitely does thx! Looks like I will be buying a DC pump soon ;)
Still need my original question answered for my personal knowlage and when I redo my pluming for a new pump I want to know how long I can go.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About how long you can go without the pump running? That's a loaded question lol. All depends on inhabitants, how fast they consume oxygen, how established the tank is to convert ammonia, I'd think with powerheads running, if you put an air stone to keep o2 up and a heater to maintain temp I'd say a few days before adverse effects happen. But honestly it's just a guess.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About how long you can go without the pump running? That's a loaded question lol. All depends on inhabitants, how fast they consume oxygen, how established the tank is to convert ammonia, I'd think with powerheads running, if you put an air stone to keep o2 up and a heater to maintain temp I'd say a few days before adverse effects happen. But honestly it's just a guess.
Ok my tank has been established for over a year and I never get ammonia, nitrates or nitrites there r only a few fish. Thx

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have an estimate as to the cost of running an Aqua Euro USA Max Chiller 1/10? Or just a regular 1/10 HP chiller?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back