Might have to change my tank, so...

TremblantAquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea 425 XL has a seal issue and I am currently speaking with them to get a replacement. So I might have to empty my tank, take it apart and rebuild a new one.

1) Any and all comments/tips/suggestions are welcomed!
2) If I am going to do this, I will also make some changes to corals and fish. Here is a picture of my tank today, everything is running fine. Again, all suggestions and comments welcomed!

A few ideas I currently have :

A) Take out the Ocellaris clownfish, it used to have a mate and it constantly fights with the Clark's Anemone fish.
B) Sell a few anemones
C) Sell one of the Toadstool with rock, probably the one on the right.
D) Change the aquascaping (this is a big one)
E) Look at a different sandbed / bottom. Currently the current pushes the sand away.

20220927_175519 (1).jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. The only changes would be nit-picky.

A. It probably would be best to choose 1 of those clowns. The clarkii is bigger and meaner, but also more unique.
B. I don't know. Tank looks great.
C. If you want to, I guess. Tank looks great. It would allow you more room to clean the glass on the right side.
D. I wouldn't change much about your aquascape. If the overflow on the new tank is different, or if the footprint is different, you might have some options. I'm a fan of what you have, 2 separate structures with the top about 2/3rds the way up the tank. If the structures were slightly different heights, that might look interesting. Again, the tank looks great.
E. You could try a larger grained sand, or add more. Another thing to try would be a taller stand or a stand with a rim so you don't see bottom panel as much. High flow is good.

I would find a place for the stuff sitting on the tank. I would try to find a place for the tank away from the windows, but I know that isn't always an option.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another RS fail. Were you the original purchaser or was this tank purchased used?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it new, luckily. Is it common for them to fail? Do they offer good warranty service?
It's become way too common, in my opinion. The staunch RS defenders like to point out after these RS failures that the tank was probably purchased used and therefore the failure isn't on RS, but I don't necessarily agree with that and that was not the case here.

OP
OP
T

TremblantAquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's become way too common, in my opinion. The staunch RS defenders like to point out after these RS failures that the tank was probably purchased used and therefore the failure isn't on RS, but I don't necessarily agree with that and that was not the case here.
Had it for to years exactly. You can see the start of the failure:
20230317_101205.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. I've seen a few RS failures on that side seam now. The norm is the bottom seam right in the middle.

2 year old Red Sea failure, original owner. Shameful.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang man, that sucks! I moved my (significantly smaller) tank across the house Sunday night and took about 5-6 hours. Granted, I also changed to undergravel filter and sump at the same time…

Only reason I see selling off/getting rid of any corals is to make space for new ones. Those are a good size and look really good!

Whatever you decide for aquascaping, I would recommend only doing it once so you don’t rearrange it 10 times in a couple of days. I just set all my rocks in a row just off the back creating a mountain range of sorts that I like for now, but I don’t have any coral

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea if RS replaces the tank or they send a full tank + stand? Trying to wrap my mind around the quantity of work I will have!
Usually if you are still covered by warranty they'll send you a new tank

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go figure another red sea tank with a seal issue. Has anyone ever heard of any other type of tank having a seal issue because I haven’t in a long time

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back