Might quit because of Algae

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae scrubber. Set it on tank let it run 24/7 algae in tank gone in less than a month. GIve your algae somewhere to grow besides your tank. Wouldnt run a saltwater tank without one.
algae scrubber cleaning 2 february 2023.jpg

You will pull this crap out every 10 days from your scrubber not your tank.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to need an army of cleaners. I have a very mature tank with very low residual building block levels and I would have algae everywhere if I did not have a larger crew to eat it.

Limpets and urchins are great. Pencil and rock urchins from the keys tend to stay on the rocks and work more. Pincushions can carry around your other crew and also head to the glass. Mexican or zebra turbos are great if your tank stays under 78 - they suffer and die if the temp is higher and 75-76 is better. They destroy tons of algae if not overheated. Astreas and ceriths don't stay on the rocks much, but they clean other things so that the urchins and limpets get back to the rocks. On a tank like that, we are talking like 100 astreas, 100 ceriths, 10 urchins and 5 limpets. If they clean it up to good, then give some away to help somebody else. They don't live but a few years, so you have to replace them.

If you dosed the algaecide recently (Vibrant), then you might have to wait a bit for uchins. I have seen then die when eating algae that still has the Quat attached.

You will have to keep up with the manual stuff while they get to work. It seems like they are not doing much for a while, but then you can see it turn and then it gets better faster.

There are many divers and places in Flordia that are the best. They are cheaper than the larger sites, will ship direct to you and the quality is better since they are direct.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back