OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Fairy wrasse is the one that comes in from top left o right at he 35 second mark? It has purple head that fades along the body and yellow flasher fins. I love it!!! As far as your tank & fish... ::drool:: AMAZING!

Thank you for the compliments and That wrasse is our C. rubrisquamis (Red Velvet or Rosy Scale) fairy wrasse.

Bernie21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the compliments and That wrasse is our C. rubrisquamis (Red Velvet or Rosy Scale) fairy wrasse.

No, Thank you for that awesome video...

I have seen those wrasses before, but usually more red in color, yours looks more purple-ish which instantly drew my attention!

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, Thank you for that awesome video...

I have seen those wrasses before, but usually more red in color, yours looks more purple-ish which instantly drew my attention!

Here's how he normally looks when not showing off:

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I played around with the Nikon d300s tonight and shot some video. Of course as soon as I turned the camera on, the 10:00pm ramp down started, so there's too much blue. You can see the space that opened up after we took out the stylophora. It had burned and shaded a good portion of the two extra large Pocillopora sp. colonies.
[video=youtube_share;0BMuWGsqt5U]http://youtu.be/0BMuWGsqt5U[/video]

-Terry

I really enjoyed your video. Thanks for sharing!

Tom

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While at MACNA this year, we couldn't resist the opportunity to check out the Downtown Aquarium. Here's a video clip of some of the footage we captured with Terry's Nikon D300s while there:

[video=youtube_share;xNMrXxKwloQ]http://youtu.be/xNMrXxKwloQ[/video]

Best watched in HD.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You! We finally settled on (3) AI Hydra 52's and (3) Kessil A360WE's. Keep in mind, our 300dd is customized with a center overflow box, rather than the standard corner overflows which definitely has an impact on lighting spread. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE

Just wondered how you are liking the LED's at this point?

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You! We finally settled on (3) AI Hydra 52's and (3) Kessil A360WE's. Keep in mind, our 300dd is customized with a center overflow box, rather than the standard corner overflows which definitely has an impact on lighting spread. :bigsmile:

Just wondered how you are liking the LED's at this point?

We are very happy with our decision to convert to LED's. We've noticed quite a difference in the electric bill, the chiller rarely runs, and evaporation has decreased significantly. It has taken some time for our corals to adjust - due in part to not having enough coverage running just the (3) AI Hydra 52's. Adding the Kessil A360we's has improved coverage significantly and we like the look of the two blended light sources.

-Terry

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank!

I've been out of the hobby for a few years, but I remember following your original 300DD on RC before it began leaking. It is cool to see a couple enjoying a hobby together. I have gotten married since last having a tank and I hope I can get my wife interested in it as well. Time will tell. My question is about your algae scrubber. I see you added one awhile back. What are your thoughts on it performance compared to other methods you two have tried.

Regards,
Taylor

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have been your observations regarding growth since switching to LED?

We would say growth is not as fast as when we were running 400w MH's with Ushio 14k bulbs, but is at least as good, if not better, than when we were running 20k radium or ushio 20k MH bulbs.

We should also mention that we run our system temp much lower (avg 75° F) than most folks with an SPS dominant reef which also inhibits growth a bit as well.

Last edited:

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the decision to remove all of my LED's except one Hydra and am using an ATI Sunpower T-5 fixture. It was a difficult decision because I really wanted the LED's to work out. My major reason for the change is that I found the AI fixtures failing and needing repairs.
I would not have minded quite so much if they were repairs that were easily diagnosed, and could have performed the repair myself but sending them back and waiting for the return was aggravating even though I do keep a spare on hand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the decision to remove all of my LED's except one Hydra and am using an ATI Sunpower T-5 fixture. It was a difficult decision because I really wanted the LED's to work out. My major reason for the change is that I found the AI fixtures failing and needing repairs.
I would not have minded quite so much if they were repairs that were easily diagnosed, and could have performed the repair myself but sending them back and waiting for the return was aggravating even though I do keep a spare on hand.

Knock on wood, we haven't had any issues with the Hydra 52's thus far. I am glad that we decided to add the (3) additional Kessil A360's into the mix, as well as keeping our VHO's. We are also planning to switch out the VHO's for T5's once we use up the rest of our spare bulbs.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back