MikeC's SOFTY TANK

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!
Amazing tank, and your video was awesome too! The collection of corals you have packed in that tank is just pure aquarist technique at it's best. Not many could pull something off like this, outstanding job! As a SPS lover, it is usually hard for me to be impressed with softies, but not this tank, I could stare at it all day long. Now, I have to read the entire thread, lol.
Cheers :)

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!
Amazing tank, and your video was awesome too! The collection of corals you have packed in that tank is just pure aquarist technique at it's best. Not many could pull something off like this, outstanding job! As a SPS lover, it is usually hard for me to be impressed with softies, but not this tank, I could stare at it all day long. Now, I have to read the entire thread, lol.
Cheers :)
Thanks Perry

Luis H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing soft tank,,,what type of gorgonia is on the top right,,,looks beautiful with movement of flow water,,,tks

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing what molecules softies can produce that tank probably has a few new cancer drugs in it!
Really nice to see people breaking away from the acropora hype train

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this tank! Looking back early in the thread, the growth that you have had is unbelievable! Are you having to do a lot of fragging/maintenance to keep coral warfare and real estate in check? I have a softie dominated 220 and am starting to see the amount of precious real estate that is limiting/will limit future purchases. Interested in what you think the future holds!

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this tank! Looking back early in the thread, the growth that you have had is unbelievable! Are you having to do a lot of fragging/maintenance to keep coral warfare and real estate in check? I have a softie dominated 220 and am starting to see the amount of precious real estate that is limiting/will limit future purchases. Interested in what you think the future holds!
Thank you dbraun15
Believe it or not I hate to frag anything lol and my thinking is the more coral you have covering rock the less space for algae to grow. As far as coral warfare ?I haven't experienced it in those terms, I mean "Warfare " always sounds so devastating. I have experienced corals bothering others they are touching, my Green Sinularia being the fastest growing gets trimed once every 3 months or so.
Im at the stage now with my tank that Im evaluating my Corals "likeness factor " in other words Im running out of room and want more coral but not ready (or don't have the room) for a upgrade.
So i ask myself do I like this particular coral enough that I wouldn't rather replace it with somehing ells?
Hope this helps
Good luck with your softies tank;)

Wildblue4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you dbraun15
Believe it or not I hate to frag anything lol and my thinking is the more coral you have covering rock the less space for algae to grow. As far as coral warfare ?I haven't experienced it in those terms, I mean "Warfare " always sounds so devastating. I have experienced corals bothering others they are touching, my Green Sinularia being the fastest growing gets trimed once every 3 months or so.
Im at the stage now with my tank that Im evaluating my Corals "likeness factor " in other words Im running out of room and want more coral but not ready (or don't have the room) for a upgrade.
So i ask myself do I like this particular coral enough that I wouldn't rather replace it with somehing ells?
Hope this helps
Good luck with your softies tank;)

Hey MJC I’m just starting up my 130gal tank. I plan on going with soft corals once the tank matures. Can you give me a few suggestions on some that I should look into? I’m wanting color and movement. I have an open canvas!! Thanks in advanced.

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey MJC I’m just starting up my 130gal tank. I plan on going with soft corals once the tank matures. Can you give me a few suggestions on some that I should look into? I’m wanting color and movement. I have an open canvas!! Thanks in advanced.
Steven go with what makes you happy what you like, whats available to you, no one to impress but your self;)

Wildblue4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steven go with what makes you happy what you like, whats available to you, no one to impress but your self;)

Roger MJC! The thing is I’m just trying to figure out the names of all these Softies. Lol Any specific softies you would suggest I research that would be good to start with that would change the level inside the tank? I just don’t want everything to grow at the same size so I’ll have different size corals. I may be confusing. Sorry

Jfourn83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this tank... its great

Couple questions

I know you dose 2 part but what about iodine ?

Can you post a picture of the sump area?

Ive seen alot of fish through this build. Can you give a update on what you have now?

Next video can you take one of feeding the tank?

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this tank... its great

Couple questions

I know you dose 2 part but what about iodine ?

Can you post a picture of the sump area?

Ive seen alot of fish through this build. Can you give a update on what you have now?

Next video can you take one of feeding the tank?
I know its old but might give you and idea.

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dose iodine or Iodide
I currently have 13 fish.

Atlanic Blue tang
One Spot Foxface
Starry Blenny
Lawnmower blenny
Yellow stripe possum wrasse
Blue Neon Goby
File Fish
2)clown fish
Zebra eel
3 Molly's in my frag tank
This is me feeding my tank.

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your current nitrate level? Curious because nitrates are needed for softies

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 77 86.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back