MikeC's SOFTY TANK

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished 26 pages in one sitting - one of the most beautiful tanks! And the settling tank idea is unique and quite efficient, something similar to water treatment plants I guess? could it be scaled down and how?

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished 26 pages in one sitting - one of the most beautiful tanks! And the settling tank idea is unique and quite efficient, something similar to water treatment plants I guess? could it be scaled down and how?
Thank you Ramona, ideally the larger the settling tank the better giving more time for the detritde to settle out. I suppose you could have multiple smaller settling tanks but then again space is vital.

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing! I too, was an SPS reefer, but the wife and kids wanted some swaying in the tank, been hooked since I bought my first pink nephthea and been collecting ever since. Now, the tank is dominantly softies just a few SPS left. I see you have a pink nephthea placed on the bottom, mine likes it high and it doubled its size.
Mike, I noticed the colt is no longer in your tank. Colts are one of my favorite.
Lee

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lee.
My pink nephthea started from a 1" frag and I placed it there for the lower flow just so it can get established now that it is about 3-4" and coming along nicely I'm kind of afraid to move it lol. Maybe ill move it up soon. My colt closed up about 8 months ago I moved it all around the tank to try and find a happy place to no avail. It is now in my 75gal for the last 3 month still alive but I never see it open?
Thanks for the tip about the pink nephthea

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lossed my colony of the pink nephthea when a very strong emerald crab decided to push the rock the nephthea was sitting on into my colony of Walt Disney SPS coral. The nephthea never recovered. Just started another one and this time on a larger stable rock.
Was the colt stung by another softy

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Mike,
the blue sponge.... when you got it, was it attached to a rock/plug?
I have access to some but the LFS would have to cut it from theirs.
not sure what to do with that. also, does it need light?

as always, good stuff.
thanks for sharing
Mike

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Mike,
the blue sponge.... when you got it, was it attached to a rock/plug?
I have access to some but the LFS would have to cut it from theirs.
not sure what to do with that. also, does it need light?

as always, good stuff.
thanks for sharing
Mike
No problem just glue it to a piece of rubble rock or your back wall or overflow it grows pretty much anywhere just try to remember which side is up and glue it that way . It grows in all type of lighting and is darker with less light and a lighter blue with brighter light.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem just glue it to a piece of rubble rock or your back wall or overflow it grows pretty much anywhere just try to remember which side is up and glue it that way . It grows in all type of lighting and is darker with less light and a lighter blue with brighter light.

so this sponge is "air safe"? or I need to put glue on a rock and attach it under water?

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4143.JPG
Mike, I just bought a coral today, it was in a neglected tank with full of algae on the glass. I thought I could see some purple.
Here's a picture in my tank and I think is not fully open yet. What do you think it is?

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4143.JPG
Mike, I just bought a coral today, it was in a neglected tank with full of algae on the glass. I thought I could see some purple.
Here's a picture in my tank and I think is not fully open yet. What do you think it is?
Nice score that is going to be nice when it opens up just give it some time and the polyps will come out sometimes they can stay closed for quite some time but it will be a nice susurpri when it opens up.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update video

Well Merry Christmas to us!!!! Such a beauty!!! Can I upload this to our YT channel and give you credit? :) You’ll also get a cool ew badge here! :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back