MikeC's SOFTY TANK

Neurotic Neptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MikeC's SOFTY TANK

I must say I couldn’t be happier with my decision to convert to softies.

After having my sps dominant tank for 2 years and loosing it to flatworms :( needles to say I was pretty bummed out.
I made up my mind to start over with a upgrade(because that was the excuse I had lol ) and also a Qt tank.

That was all set up and chugging along with some wonderful help from my fellow reefers that provided me with great frags to get me back on my feet(Thank you all you know who you are;).
Unfortunately one night RTN set in:(

All the while I still had some LPS and zoos that made the transfer and everyone that saw the tank being re-created always mentioned what wonderful movement my gonipora had and didn’t seem to notice the sps with the new growth lol.

Now I understand that the novices would say that but the truth was I enjoyed the movement so much better myself and I think I was caught up in the Social Stigma that soft corals are for beginners, easy and not taken seriously amongst the “real reefers”
Now don’t get me wrong i love and respect a well maintained sps tank but Im also not embarrassed to say Im proud of my non stresful Softy tank ;)

Hope you enjoy the photos AND MY WORK IN PROGRESS.
I would also love to hear from other soft coral lovers.

a1_zpsfafo7s4q.jpg

a2_zpsivbqqyat.jpg

a3_zpsjvjfvftt.jpg

10_zpsepru5vlb.jpg

12_zpsvtntbrtz.jpg

7_zpsf0msr2td.jpg

8_zpsu1ldrkhl.jpg

11_zpsoxguy8oa.jpg

9_zpsfgbjljzu.jpg

3_zpsifnqt5up.jpg

5_zpsfdadabjp.jpg

1_zpszkopl2cq.jpg

2_zps2tpjmxzz.jpg

6_zpsufg80ep1.jpg

4_zps7hocucp1.jpg

13_zpsttpsdnwd.jpg

a4_zpslughbkua.jpg
Great looking tank, who knows what's in the future for popular corals, in a few years this may be the new trend again. Don't get me wrong i love sps but movement always gets more attention from my guests who don't know sps is the now trend. Love your tank!
MikeC's SOFTY TANK

After having my sps dominant tank for 2 years and loosing it to flatworms :( needles to say I was pretty bummed out.
I made up my mind to start over with a upgrade(because that was the excuse I had lol ) and also a Qt tank.

That was all set up and chugging along with some wonderful help from my fellow reefers that provided me with great frags to get me back on my feet(Thank you all you know who you are;).

All the while I still had some LPS and zoos that made the transfer and everyone that saw the tank being re-created always mentioned what wonderful movement my gonipora had and didn’t seem to notice the sps with the new growth lol.

Now I understand that the novices would say that but the truth was I enjoyed the movement so much better myself and I think I was caught up in the Social Stigma that soft corals are for beginners, easy and not taken seriously amongst the “real reefers”
Now don’t get me wrong i love and respect a well maintained sps tank but Im also not embarrassed to say Im proud of my non stresful Softy tank ;)

a1_zpsfafo7s4q.jpg

a2_zpsivbqqyat.jpg

a3_zpsjvjfvftt.jpg

10_zpsepru5vlb.jpg

12_zpsvtntbrtz.jpg

7_zpsf0msr2td.jpg

8_zpsu1ldrkhl.jpg

11_zpsoxguy8oa.jpg

9_zpsfgbjljzu.jpg

3_zpsifnqt5up.jpg

5_zpsfdadabjp.jpg

1_zpszkopl2cq.jpg

2_zps2tpjmxzz.jpg

6_zpsufg80ep1.jpg

4_zps7hocucp1.jpg

13_zpsttpsdnwd.jpg

a4_zpslughbkua.jpg
Love your tank, who knows what the next trend will be for all we know it could be softies. When my friends or family come over it's not the sps that gets their attention but my softies. People love movement it's nice to see not everyone gets caught up in the new now, your tank looks great and a hole lot cheaper than a psychologist

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@MJC man this is tough to read as this is one of my TOP 3 tanks of all time and a definite hall of fame reef tank! (I think you just inspired me with an idea) Anyway I genuinely HATE to see you tear it down but I respect your decision and that you are going out on top! But if you decided to change your mind I won't be mad!

Thanks for the enjoyment of this reef and the membership here my friend.

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MJC man this is tough to read as this is one of my TOP 3 tanks of all time and a definite hall of fame reef tank! (I think you just inspired me with an idea) Anyway I genuinely HATE to see you tear it down but I respect your decision and that you are going out on top! But if you decided to change your mind I won't be mad!

Thanks for the enjoyment of this reef and the membership here my friend.
Thank You Rev always a pleasure

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Bizzie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MikeC's SOFTY TANK

a1_zpsfafo7s4q.jpg

a2_zpsivbqqyat.jpg

a3_zpsjvjfvftt.jpg

10_zpsepru5vlb.jpg

12_zpsvtntbrtz.jpg

7_zpsf0msr2td.jpg

8_zpsu1ldrkhl.jpg

11_zpsoxguy8oa.jpg

9_zpsfgbjljzu.jpg

3_zpsifnqt5up.jpg

5_zpsfdadabjp.jpg

1_zpszkopl2cq.jpg

2_zps2tpjmxzz.jpg

6_zpsufg80ep1.jpg

4_zps7hocucp1.jpg

13_zpsttpsdnwd.jpg

a4_zpslughbkua.jpg
Awesome and inspiring! I will soon be starting my build of a mixed reef tank that will likely be softy dominant

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

editour2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike.....I never saw your tank in person but I have seen it many times in pictures throughout various reef forums and can spot/identify it easily whenever I see a picture of it. It is truly unique and a work of art and love. One of the most beautiful tanks I have ever seen and always admired. A true inspiration and something to strive for. Glad to have met you through the club, (LIRA), and have traded corals with you. I wish you luck in whatever the next chapter in your life may be.
Frank

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stunning tank, any tips on how to make a more organized softy tank. leathers and things are honestly my favorite corals but all i have is some gsp and parazoanthus and rocks covered in some chaeto and sea lettuce. if it was more encrusted it would be pretty comfy but idk. the guy i was talking to at the reef said that parazoanthus might be nps. i need to get good polyp extension and stuff on my corals

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stunning tank, any tips on how to make a more organized softy tank. leathers and things are honestly my favorite corals but all i have is some gsp and parazoanthus and rocks covered in some chaeto and sea lettuce. if it was more encrusted it would be pretty comfy but idk. the guy i was talking to at the reef said that parazoanthus might be nps. i need to get good polyp extension and stuff on my corals
This tank has been broken down. Nire sure he's active on the forums any longer unfortunately. Was a beautiful tank.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep tank broken down and he’s taking a break.

Back