MikeC's SOFTY TANK

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Sad to see you go, your tank is the reason I set up a softy tank. But anyway, good luck and hope to see you again here.

oneilwiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made a personal decision to brake my tanks down and exit the hobby.
20200213_133835-01.jpeg

A good friend and expert reefer summed it up perfectly buy saying

" Sometimes in life you have to let go of what you love In order to start the next chapter"

This really hit home and has helped me greatly.

I have made this decision to go out on top,(I Don't mean to sound pompous, but by "on top" I mean the best that I could ever imagine my tank to be) Every thing was still very healthy and happy in my tank.
20200206_152759-01.jpeg

This decision is under my control rather than an unfortunate incident or situation.

I want to thank everyone I ever met in this hobby who has helped me in any way over the years. Please know It is greatly appreciated and I hope I was able to do the same in return.

Most of my coral are sold or pending locally and I will not be shipping them to anyone under any circumstances.

My tank impressed me and in the end that is what was important.

If anything ells I hope I was able to share and spread some love,beauty and appreciation for the soft coral reef tank.

~Best wishes to all

MikeC

20200206_152823-01.jpeg
Sad to see you go Mike but THANK YOU for the inspirations. Do what is best for you.

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200213_133835-01.jpeg

" Sometimes in life you have to let go of what you love In order to start the next chapter"

I have made this decision to go out on top,(I Don't mean to sound pompous, but by "on top" I mean the best that I could ever imagine my tank to be) Every thing was still very healthy and happy in my tank.
20200206_152759-01.jpeg

This decision is under my control rather than an unfortunate incident or situation.

I want to thank everyone I ever met in this hobby who has helped me in any way over the years. Please know It is greatly appreciated and I hope I was able to do the same in return.

Most of my coral are sold or pending locally and I will not be shipping them to anyone under any circumstances.

If anything ells I hope I was able to share and spread some love,beauty and appreciation for the soft coral reef tank.

~Best wishes to all

MikeC

20200206_152823-01.jpeg

The Champions go out on top! Wish you the best!

Ramona

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20200213_133835-01.jpeg

20200206_152759-01.jpeg

~Best wishes to all

MikeC

20200206_152823-01.jpeg
This hobby is definitely loosing an icon. You might have taken the tank down but the tank will always be remembered and talked about. Mike I can only say one thing, I am going to miss you but I am also great full that I met you through this hobby. You are a gem of a person. I wish you and your family all the best of luck on your next journey and I will always be here for you with any help you might need. Thank you always brother

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is definitely loosing an icon. You might have taken the tank down but the tank will always be remembered and talked about. Mike I can only say one thing, I am going to miss you but I am also great full that I met you through this hobby. You are a gem of a person. I wish you and your family all the best of luck on your next journey and I will always be here for you with any help you might need. Thank you always brother
Thank you my friend that means the most ❤

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're tanks going to inspire me for the rest of the time I have left in this hobby.

It's an absolute masterpiece, thank you for sharing it!

It's going to be talked about long after you break it down.

dricc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been waiting many years to set up a tank again. I was going back and forth on what kind of tank I wanted to set up. Thanks to you it's a softy dominant tank. You have inspired many. I wish you the best. Thanks for everything

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MikeC's SOFTY TANK

I must say I couldn’t be happier with my decision to convert to softies.

After having my sps dominant tank for 2 years and loosing it to flatworms :( needles to say I was pretty bummed out.
I made up my mind to start over with a upgrade(because that was the excuse I had lol ) and also a Qt tank.

That was all set up and chugging along with some wonderful help from my fellow reefers that provided me with great frags to get me back on my feet(Thank you all you know who you are;).
Unfortunately one night RTN set in:(

All the while I still had some LPS and zoos that made the transfer and everyone that saw the tank being re-created always mentioned what wonderful movement my gonipora had and didn’t seem to notice the sps with the new growth lol.

Now I understand that the novices would say that but the truth was I enjoyed the movement so much better myself and I think I was caught up in the Social Stigma that soft corals are for beginners, easy and not taken seriously amongst the “real reefers”
Now don’t get me wrong i love and respect a well maintained sps tank but Im also not embarrassed to say Im proud of my non stresful Softy tank ;)

Hope you enjoy the photos AND MY WORK IN PROGRESS.
I would also love to hear from other soft coral lovers.

a1_zpsfafo7s4q.jpg

a2_zpsivbqqyat.jpg

a3_zpsjvjfvftt.jpg

10_zpsepru5vlb.jpg

12_zpsvtntbrtz.jpg

7_zpsf0msr2td.jpg

8_zpsu1ldrkhl.jpg

11_zpsoxguy8oa.jpg

9_zpsfgbjljzu.jpg

3_zpsifnqt5up.jpg

5_zpsfdadabjp.jpg

1_zpszkopl2cq.jpg

2_zps2tpjmxzz.jpg

6_zpsufg80ep1.jpg

4_zps7hocucp1.jpg

13_zpsttpsdnwd.jpg

a4_zpslughbkua.jpg
We have always preferred LPS and softies over SPS corals. We are in the process of setting up our new Red Sea Reefer 450 and decided to upgrade specifically for the ability to do more corals. We really like the mushrooms, leathers and hammers, torches, etc.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous! I tried and tried acans & sps and my tank just wouldn't let me do it. I stumbled across someone's softy tank in the forum and realized they're absolutely beautiful and I made the switch as well. Mostly softies, some blastos, and a few acros that decided they do want to live here long after I considered them dead. I regret nothing. Mine is still filling in and not even half of what you're at.

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SALUTE! You have giving us all inspiration and something to try and achieve ourselves! Thank you so very much for sharing the experience with us!

NM All beach no ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MikeC's SOFTY TANK

After having my sps dominant tank for 2 years and loosing it to flatworms :( needles to say I was pretty bummed out.
I made up my mind to start over with a upgrade(because that was the excuse I had lol ) and also a Qt tank.

That was all set up and chugging along with some wonderful help from my fellow reefers that provided me with great frags to get me back on my feet(Thank you all you know who you are;).

All the while I still had some LPS and zoos that made the transfer and everyone that saw the tank being re-created always mentioned what wonderful movement my gonipora had and didn’t seem to notice the sps with the new growth lol.

Now I understand that the novices would say that but the truth was I enjoyed the movement so much better myself and I think I was caught up in the Social Stigma that soft corals are for beginners, easy and not taken seriously amongst the “real reefers”
Now don’t get me wrong i love and respect a well maintained sps tank but Im also not embarrassed to say Im proud of my non stresful Softy tank ;)

a1_zpsfafo7s4q.jpg

a2_zpsivbqqyat.jpg

a3_zpsjvjfvftt.jpg

10_zpsepru5vlb.jpg

12_zpsvtntbrtz.jpg

7_zpsf0msr2td.jpg

8_zpsu1ldrkhl.jpg

11_zpsoxguy8oa.jpg

9_zpsfgbjljzu.jpg

3_zpsifnqt5up.jpg

5_zpsfdadabjp.jpg

1_zpszkopl2cq.jpg

2_zps2tpjmxzz.jpg

6_zpsufg80ep1.jpg

4_zps7hocucp1.jpg

13_zpsttpsdnwd.jpg

a4_zpslughbkua.jpg
Absolutely stunning tank!

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200213_133835-01.jpeg

20200206_152759-01.jpeg

~Best wishes to all

MikeC

20200206_152823-01.jpeg

Congratulations, you have a lot to be proud of and I think we all can respect the decision. I hear you on going out on top!!! That must be an awesome feeling. Lots of joy and inspiration from your build.

1191737D-4CB7-49AC-8472-456EC730C1BC.gif

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to see you leave but I agree this is the best way possible. You are doing it the right way. Walking away with success and no regrets. That's the way I would want to go out.

Much respect and best of luck to your new chapter!!

J’s reefreturn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MikeC's SOFTY TANK

a1_zpsfafo7s4q.jpg

a2_zpsivbqqyat.jpg

a3_zpsjvjfvftt.jpg

10_zpsepru5vlb.jpg

12_zpsvtntbrtz.jpg

7_zpsf0msr2td.jpg

8_zpsu1ldrkhl.jpg

11_zpsoxguy8oa.jpg

9_zpsfgbjljzu.jpg

3_zpsifnqt5up.jpg

5_zpsfdadabjp.jpg

1_zpszkopl2cq.jpg

2_zps2tpjmxzz.jpg

6_zpsufg80ep1.jpg

4_zps7hocucp1.jpg

13_zpsttpsdnwd.jpg

a4_zpslughbkua.jpg
Tank is rad, great job

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this was one of my all time favorites no contest. Opened my eyes to a whole new world. Sad to see it go but more so grateful to have enjoyed it along the way. Thank you!

jrr150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
I want one of this. Congrats for your works.

surcalation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your story of your soft coral tank and setting the bar for others to follow. Good luck in your next endeavours.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back