we did a little grilled duck.
grilled duck cowboy caviar.jpg

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright everyone so I’ve got a problem and it’s stumped me a bit. My torch has been looking pretty bad the past two or three days. The rest of the Euphyllia have been fine, but not as happy as they were. I noticed salinity went up a bit over the course of a week or two from 1.025 SG to 1.029 SG. I did two 5 Gal water changes, but it seems to have only gotten worse. In my sump, there’s a layer of “slime” with bubbles in it floating near the protein skimmer that won’t get sucked up. I’m not sure if this is connected or not, but I can’t see it being coincidence considering that it’s just showing up now. I added new palys to the sump and they produced a good amount of slime. Is it possible they released palytoxin into the water and this is what’s causing the problem? I use Red Sea Pro Salt so all numbers align the same as they always do. Nitrate and phosphate are existent, but not out of the normal recommended range.
image.jpg
image.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the torch was happier than I had ever seen it just a few days ago. It was slowly getting fuller, more “tentacles”, and brighter colors! And then out of nowhere, this. Again, I’m stumped

Add fresh carbon, 3 day old carbon is not fresh with paly slime, my duncans went in to sulk mode today, about to add a bag of fresh carbon as the duncan is my "canary" coral.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright everyone so I’ve got a problem and it’s stumped me a bit. My torch has been looking pretty bad the past two or three days. The rest of the Euphyllia have been fine, but not as happy as they were. I noticed salinity went up a bit over the course of a week or two from 1.025 SG to 1.029 SG. I did two 5 Gal water changes, but it seems to have only gotten worse. In my sump, there’s a layer of “slime” with bubbles in it floating near the protein skimmer that won’t get sucked up. I’m not sure if this is connected or not, but I can’t see it being coincidence considering that it’s just showing up now. I added new palys to the sump and they produced a good amount of slime. Is it possible they released palytoxin into the water and this is what’s causing the problem? I use Red Sea Pro Salt so all numbers align the same as they always do. Nitrate and phosphate are existent, but not out of the normal recommended range.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Keep that SG in check bud. Swings are hard.

Euphyllia seem to do this from time to time. My frogspawn had one head about totally closed for a week and I thought it was going to bail. Woke up one day like nothing every happened. As the torches surrounded by other euphyllia, I doubt it's the only thing that's got bugs so personally would not pull it out to dip. Torches don't like being messed with at all. Keep an eye on the tissue at the bottom of the head for recession. Watch from all sides for any signs of infection. If you deem it necessary, a long dip in Lugol's or another iodine base may be helpful.

OP
OP
sp1187

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the torch was happier than I had ever seen it just a few days ago. It was slowly getting fuller, more “tentacles”, and brighter colors! And then out of nowhere, this. Again, I’m stumped
run carbon to start with.

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep that SG in check bud. Swings are hard.

Euphyllia seem to do this from time to time. My frogspawn had one head about totally closed for a week and I thought it was going to bail. Woke up one day like nothing every happened. As the torches surrounded by other euphyllia, I doubt it's the only thing that's got bugs so personally would not pull it out to dip. Torches don't like being messed with at all. Keep an eye on the tissue at the bottom of the head for recession. Watch from all sides for any signs of infection. If you deem it necessary, a long dip in Lugol's or another iodine base may be helpful.
It was pure laziness on my part with not testing. Definitely not something that’ll be repeated. A stable 1.025 SG tested daily from here on out.

I’ve heard of that happening with toadstools and zoas, just never torches. I’m glad to hear it though! Hopefully it’s just having a bad hair day and will be back to swaying soon. Though I’m sure it was my fault with the salinity swing.

Going back to what @najer said, I just realized I removed my carbon about four or five days ago. I read that it was bad to run it 24/7 with tangs, and my nutrient levels have been in line, so I took it out. I feel real dumb for even asking, but was that an amateur mistake? Am I now letting toxins and god knows what else freely float in my tank? I’m hoping not, but I can’t say I’d be surprised considering the timing…

OP
OP
sp1187

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this look Mike please, I cut at least an inch into good flesh, it was the branch that has the dead spot in the middle?
was the dead spot in between the tip and the branch?
asking that as to if it was what did you do with the cutting?

keep an eye out for algae on the end.

OP
OP
sp1187

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was pure laziness on my part with not testing. Definitely not something that’ll be repeated. A stable 1.025 SG tested daily from here on out.

I’ve heard of that happening with toadstools and zoas, just never torches. I’m glad to hear it though! Hopefully it’s just having a bad hair day and will be back to swaying soon. Though I’m sure it was my fault with the salinity swing.

Going back to what @najer said, I just realized I removed my carbon about four or five days ago. I read that it was bad to run it 24/7 with tangs, and my nutrient levels have been in line, so I took it out. I feel real dumb for even asking, but was that an amateur mistake? Am I now letting toxins and god knows what else freely float in my tank? I’m hoping not, but I can’t say I’d be surprised considering the timing…
news flash..... we's all amateurs. some are just more amateurish than others.;)
someone claims to be a pro.... walk away. :cool:

OP
OP
sp1187

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m rinsing and adding some right now. I have 5 Gal of RODI from yesterday. Should I do another water change as well?
i'd just run the carbon for starts.
someone here wants to over rule that. i'm not going to argue the point.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 148 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back