Mike's Aquatop Recife 40G

mshaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone....decide to finally jump in and get my build thread started!

Equipment
Aquatop Recife 40g AIO w/Stand
Aquaillumination Prime 16HD Reef
(Bought this used missing the skimmer, which after several attempts at installing "other" skimmers turns out only the original Aquatop skimmer will fit, luckily my LFS was able to get me one, it can be seen in later pics.)
CaribSea Live Sand (2 bags, one coarse, one fine)
~10lb Dry Rock
Seeded with several ounces of fish food and one of the quick start products

8/18/2021 - Initial Water
Recife40g Initial Water.jpg

This is my first aquarium in a decade, here are a few pics of some older ones:

2012 nano
63947688-1108-4DD2-B789-150E5015FA52_1_105_c.jpeg

2002 12G Acrylic (Seahorses)
BCB3A444-6A22-4624-8BCD-F1EE399EF327_1_105_c.jpeg

2001 60G Acrylic (First Marine Attempt)
1B9518DE-5F32-47EC-BCFB-B1062365ADB1_1_105_c.jpeg

I will get an update soon, I am 3months into my current build and have quite a few pics. It's been a lot of fun getting back into the hobby and I am blown away at how much better everything is. I've already started planning my next build!!!

Cheers!

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just getting this same tank started! Mine did come with the skimmer (1st gen version), but it's missing the piece to control the airflow. Which skimmer did you wind up with and are you happy with it?

OP
OP
mshaw

mshaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun

No Seahorses planned for this one, they are a challenge that I am not up for just yet. They were amazing to have, but tough to lose.

@miltonkl

My LFS sold me one out of a new setup they had on their floor, so I assume it's the most current version. It seems to work just fine, actually maybe a little too well, as I have recently been going through several days with it off to try and get my PO4 up a bit.

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun

No Seahorses planned for this one, they are a challenge that I am not up for just yet. They were amazing to have, but tough to lose.

@miltonkl

My LFS sold me one out of a new setup they had on their floor, so I assume it's the most current version. It seems to work just fine, actually maybe a little too well, as I have recently been going through several days with it off to try and get my PO4 up a bit.
This is the current gen version: https://www.aquatop.com/products/replacement-protein-skimmer-for-the-rc24eco-rc40eco-bt21g. I'm thinking I might pick it up once I have a few fish in the tank. It's a good price, but hard to find any reviews of it out there as this isn't the most common tank.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Did yours come with glass lids, and do you plan to use them to cut down on evaporation? I bought mine for my office lobby, and it came with the skimmer as well, but I didn't hook it up; I didn't want the cup to overflow over a weekend when no one is there. But my tank is doing pretty well regardless. Congratulations on your set-up.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that screen have a feeding port? If not, I highly recommend the one on BRS that you can add yourself... it’s a huge convenience. :)

C25726F1-57EA-4F08-88C0-612B1EBF8FF6.jpeg

OP
OP
mshaw

mshaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kraken has a built in feeding port and a cup(ordered separately):
Kraken Feeding Port.jpg

The cup is really cool for frozen foods as you can just insert the cup, drop in the frozen, and wait for it to thaw. The holes in the cup will let some food fall through, but most of the food doesn't, so you have spin the cup to get the food to fall through, or with the case of the frozen foods it will float at the top until it defrosts.

Kraken Feeding Cup.jpg

Cheers

OP
OP
mshaw

mshaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, I was away for a week at a trade show and have lost a couple corals...just realized I haven't posted any progress pics yet, but I will have some that show the corals I lost. I can't figure out what happened as all my numbers are good....such a bummer. I removed the corals and did a water change, everybody else seems pretty happy so I'll just have to chalk it up as a mystery.

Cheers

Char.toombes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that singular 16HD reef is enough for the 40? I have the same setup and am looking to upgrade the light to same or the 32 if the 16 won’t be enough lighting

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that singular 16HD reef is enough for the 40? I have the same setup and am looking to upgrade the light to same or the 32 if the 16 won’t be enough lighting

BRS did a video about light settings that included par readings for the AI Prime 16HD that seems to suggest one is enough for this tank at about 12 inches off the water. That's what I'm running with this tank, though I only have 2 little frags that I just added a couple weeks ago. I had to lower the settings from what BRS recommended though as it seemed to be too much light.

Georgia00013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a video about light settings that included par readings for the AI Prime 16HD that seems to suggest one is enough for this tank at about 12 inches off the water. That's what I'm running with this tank, though I only have 2 little frags that I just added a couple weeks ago. I had to lower the settings from what BRS recommended though as it seemed to be too much light.
I have the same tank and light and had to lower from the BRS recommendation too. Glad I'm not alone in that, it was just too much for it.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 is not enough for the aquatop 40.
I run 2 on my Aquatop 20 18" nano cube.
Tanks 1 month old and acros are starting to encrust
21 sps frags and 2 small colonies
2 bangai cardinals amd 1 sixline.
I run this light schedule.
1 hour ramp up and down
10hrs at max.
UV V 140%
RB B 125%
R G 6%
W 15%
10" off the surface
20220220_132447.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back