Mike's new aquarium(s)

Miketay89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This setup began about 12 years ago when I found an ad for a used 120 gal RR aquarium. My wife and I had just built a new house and I had always had aquariums but I was ready for a larger one. So off I went and bought this 12o gal aquarium brought it home and put it in my basement and began dreaming about the setup I was going to have. I even began putting together the aquascape with some homemade rock. But I never set it up. I think that I wanted the perfect setup so badly that I just couldn't find the time to build the perfect stand and find the perfect place in the house. I still had aquariums just not the big show tank.
Fast forward 12 years, we have moved and built another house so this time I am definitely going to setup my 120. It was sitting in the basement of our new house when I went down to check the measurements for the stand that I was getting ready to build, then I saw cracks in the plastic supports all around the aquarium, 2 on the top and 1 on the bottom. I couldn't believe it they must of happened while moving it from house to storage and then to our new house. I knew that my plan of setting this up in our master bedroom was a bad idea so I came up with a new plan.
There was a sale going on at a large aquarium store on the very day that I discovered the cracks in the plastic. 30% off all aquariums. It was destiny, so off I went to buy a new 120. I didn't get it though, after looking around I decided to get the 150H instead. So I will put the 150 in the bedroom and I will use the 120 in the basement as kind of a display sump/refugium.
Of course my wife's first response to this plan was,"I thought we couldn't use the 120". But my thinking is that there is no drywall and no wood floors down there to ruin so if it springs a leak it shouldn't be that big of a problem. Hopefully it won't. I know if all 120 gallons let go at the same time we will have a problem somewhere, but surely that won't happen.:D

I am starting with the basement. I am going to get all of the support equipment in place and running before I even begin on the stand for the 150. So far I have built the stand for the 120 and an electrical/dosing stand.

I didn't get a lot of pictures during the building, actually I think this is the only one.
stand_construction.jpg elec_dosing.jpg
I just finished the elec/dosing stand tonight and began getting things connected.

120_stand.jpg
I have the 120 running all of the rock and sand. Some of it will stay there and some will end up in the 150. So I should have a minimal cycle once I connect the 150 up to the system.

That's where I am so far, still have a lot to do. I thought it would be fun to document the process here and also get some ideas from others. I still have some tidying up to do on this, but the next big step will be the mixing station. Thanks for checking out my build.

OP
OP
Miketay89

Miketay89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand next to the 120 will house the electronics, dosing, and the phytoplankton / zooplankton cultures.
DJ powerstrips, need to get my label maker out and label the individual switches.
djpower.jpg
I will dose Ca, Alk, phyto, and rotifers. Not sure how the rots will do passing thru the pump. I'll have to run a test.
doser.jpg
Phyto, plan on keeping 2 backup cultures while one is dosing.
phyto.jpg
My temp controller and dosing controller mounted to the side of the same stand.
controlers.jpg
I bought 2 of these fluval lights to keep on the 120. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about them but I am just going to keep them on a light timer so their major downfall (the power switch) I should be able to avoid. The lights will come on in the evening for our viewing pleasure and go off in the morning when the 150 lights come on.
fluval.jpg

OP
OP
Miketay89

Miketay89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a couple of cool things in for the 150 display.
A dimmable ATI 8 bulb...can't wait to fire it up.
ati.jpg
And an Icecap gyre
icecap.jpg
The biggest thing that I am waiting on now is the tanks that I ordered for my mixing station. Once I get it completed I will start building the stand for the 150.

OP
OP
Miketay89

Miketay89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My return pump will be plumbed into the overflows from the 120 in the basement. It is a panworld 200.
returnpump.jpg
Here is a pic of one of the cracks. These are the reason this 120 is not going upstairs.
crackedbrace.jpg
I've added the second fluval led light, some copepods from the Algae Barn, and the macroalgae.
fluval.jpg

I don't know if you can tell from the pic, but the rocks that i have are huge and may be hard to make a nice aquascape with. I'm kind of wishing that i had taken a sledge hammer to them before I began this process.

OP
OP
Miketay89

Miketay89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown diatom bloom has started. Just a matter of time until cycle is complete. Still waiting on the tanks for the mixing station though. I may begin building the stand for my 150 this weekend so that I will be just a little closer to setting it up once the water tanks are here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miketay89

Miketay89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks PJS!

One of the fluval lights died already. I didn't even use the power switch once. I was turning it on with the dj power strip.
There is a red light flashing on the power button. Sent an email to fluval, curious to see if there is some sort of reset that can be done.
If not I may take it apart to see if I can figure out the cause of the failure.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back