milky water after skimmer overflowed

wereef2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two days ago, my skimmer overflowed. It had been over a week since i cleaned the skimmer. The neck was pretty nasty. Gotta work! So, when the lights came on, my water was real milky looking. I did all the normal tests. Po4 .18, No3 40, Ca 440, ALK 9.6. Normal Po4 is .02 and No3 is 5. Ca and ALK are at there normal levels.
So i cleaned the skimmer really good that day. Yesterday morning i tested Po4 a got a .05, (tested 2x). I then cleaned all detritus from sump, changed carbon and gfo. I did a 5% water change on my 140 gallon system.
Today the water is still milky looking, although not as bad as day 1. Tested Po4 again and got a .11. Logic tells me to do a large water change to get rid of some the bad water. However, i keep reading when dealing with a bacterial bloom, dont do water changes. I am guessing that is my problem. Skimmate is pretty dark. Some of my corals are starting to loose color and some are not looking very good. All the fish seem to be fine.
Here is my question (finally), do i need to do a larger water change or leave it for a couple more days to see what happens? Do i need to continue my normal dosing of Ca and ALK?

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the waterchange! or move all livestock into a new tank till it clears up

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind. Confusing this thread with another.

The don't do water changes, if ever appropriate, isn't here if you want to export the organics. I recommend them here.

Extra GAC and heavy skimming will also help.

The bacteria will disappear on their own, but if not, a UV will help.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back