Millepora I.D. Help

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the picture, The iconic Millepora hairs are always out. Feeding, growing, encrusting on the live rock. The colors in the photo are very close to reality. Orange and green. Expecting new branches in the near future. This coral was sold as a Mille Acro. Any help i.d.ing this coral would be appreciated. Thanks.
IMG_3968.jpeg

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the picture, The iconic Millepora hairs are always out. Feeding, growing, encrusting on the live rock. The colors in the photo are very close to reality. Orange and green. Expecting new branches in the near future. This coral was sold as a Mille Acro. Any help i.d.ing this coral would be appreciated. Thanks.
IMG_3968.jpeg
Yeah, I think it was sold by the correct ID.

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're trying to find out if it has a designer name it may have a few out there, but 100% a mille

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're trying to find out if it has a designer name it may have a few out there, but 100% a mille
In my opinion, that’s not how it works. If there is no lineage to the original colony, then it’s either no-name or fake of the designer name. I understand they all come from the ocean, and they could’ve come from the same colony in the ocean as the original designer named coral, but there is no lineage.
For example, if this frag above ends up looking exactly like a CC Bahama Mama, it can never be a CC Bahama Mama.

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, that’s not how it works. If there is no lineage to the original colony, then it’s either no-name or fake of the designer name. I understand they all come from the ocean, and they could’ve come from the same colony in the ocean as the original designer named coral, but there is no lineage.
For example, if this frag above ends up looking exactly like a CC Bahama Mama, it can never be a CC Bahama Mama.
Eh, I think sometimes there is too much thought into the topic at hand, he just wants to know what it could be and possibly google search to see if it looks like it.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion: Lineage is a “signature” by a popular vendor meant to act as a way to keep pricing in a desired range. It may or may not include the same strain of coral. Until vendors can trademark coral, they cannot control who uses their marketing names. I think the name game for money sake is silly, but it helps us envision a specific coral when talking about it.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, I think sometimes there is too much thought into the topic at hand, he just wants to know what it could be and possibly google search to see if it looks like it.
Maybe. Unless he tries to sell it under the name of an acro which has been aquacultured for years.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back