Milwaukee refractometer reading off for standard solution

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a brand new Milwaukee refractometer and the reading for the standard solution is off. The standard is 1.025, but reading is coming in at 1.023 no matter how many times repeat and/or recalibrate.

I haven't tested my tank water yet because I don't know what to do with this

information. Could the solution be off? That doesn't seem right.

Maybe the next step will be to test with a manual refractometer and see is its 1.023 or 1.025 and compare to the Milwaukee.

If the instrument is coming in at .002 off consistently would this be grounds to return the unit? Can it be recalibrated to read correctly from home? And since it's consistent.. How would this translate into tank readings? Would they also be off by .002 or would it translate differently at another salinity?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first time using the unit and I'm just trying to get an idea of how to interpret this

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much solution are you putting in? When I use mine, I put in just enough to cover the mirror. Sometimes if I put in too much I get a bad reading.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had the same thing.. got mine today and first calibrated w Rodi and said 1.024 then tried with the solution and also said similar .. I then tried to calibrate and test my .35 ppt solution and it came to I think .34 and I gave up and said close enough

image.jpg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was spot on when I used it a few times in the beginning. Try warming up the metal plate around the sensor and see if it helps.

OP
OP
Phildago

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to it? I can’t find any info.
Does it claim to be a seawater standard? A simple specific gravity standard is not suitable for this purpose.

It just says 1.025 seawater calibration validation solution. Another user posted a picture above

How much solution are you putting in? When I use mine, I put in just enough to cover the mirror. Sometimes if I put in too much I get a bad reading.

I tried different amounts between filling the chamber and just covering the mirror. It's spot on 1.023 every time.

Mine was spot on when I used it a few times in the beginning. Try warming up the metal plate around the sensor and see if it helps.

It was at room temp. 72 degrees

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don’t see there being a problem with it: however I tried Rodi as well and I still got an error. Maybe we got some that are off a little?

OP
OP
Phildago

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don’t see there being a problem with it: however I tried Rodi as well and I still got an error. Maybe we got some that are off a little?
When I get home I'm going to toss some of that solution in my manual refractometer and see what I get... That'll help us know if the solution is off or if the units are.

From there, provided the solution is good, I'd like to figure out if the unit is off by .002 with tank water as well.

If the unit is consistently off by .002 every time I use it then I'd probably be okay with that and just manually adjust the values on the back end. What I'm most worried about is if the skew changes with varying salinities

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Milwaukee digital refrac has the same issue. I've just come to accept that 37ppt is actually 35. It reads 2ppt low with any calibration solution I've tried (brightwell, brs, and included). I've checked it against a standard refractometer and my apex probe and it's consistently 2ppt low.

OP
OP
Phildago

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Milwaukee digital refrac has the same issue. I've just come to accept that 37ppt is actually 35. It reads 2ppt low with any calibration solution I've tried (brightwell, brs, and included). I've checked it against a standard refractometer and my apex probe and it's consistently 2ppt low.
Thanks good to know.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the one that comes in the box with the unit. I don't know much about it, but it's what the company selected as a standard

well, hopefully they selected it properly. My 35 ppt standard solutions for hydrometers or conductivity meters are not suitable for a refractometer.

OP
OP
Phildago

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, hopefully they selected it properly. My 35 ppt standard solutions for hydrometers or conductivity meters are not suitable for a refractometer.
Ah, okay. Thank you Dr. Farley.

I have another question that Im not sure how else to go about finding the answer to. If I were to make an at home solution at 35 ppt, would I be able to use instant ocean reef salt, or should I use table salt?
The reason I ask is because I would make this solution based off weight of solute/solvent, and I'm not sure how ion balance measures into the equation of light refraction. For example if instant ocean contains 3% some mineral that doesn't change the refraction it might be unsuitable compared to pure NaCl. I also may be over thinking this but I'd like to be as precise as possible

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back