Milwaukee Refractometers are not good

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO, we as reefers are fortunate that reef aquariums do not seemingly require particularly accurate salinity measurement, since many of the devices reefers use are not especially accurate.

IMO, the Milwaukee is a case in point. By Milwaukee's own specs, a reading of 35 ppt might be anything between 33 and 37 ppt.

Let's put that in a different perspective...

What does that range mean for the components of that 35 ppt seawater?

magnesium 1206 to 1353 ppm (would folks be happy with that claimed accuracy???)
alk 6.6 to 7.4 dKH
calcium 396 to 444 ppm

It semes to me that many folks complain if a test has these sorts of inaccuracies

Those numbers are well within our normal kits anyway and not one of those numbers is causing issues in our systems.

Salifert has a .6dkh margin of error. Almost every magnesium test kit is +-50 and calcium is usually +-20ppm or so.

All of those line up with the Milwaukee. So I guess ALL test kits in this hobby are junk?

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those numbers are well within our normal kits anyway and not one of those numbers is causing issues in our systems.

Salifert has a .6dkh margin of error. Almost every magnesium test kit is +-50 and calcium is usually +-20ppm or so.

All of those line up with the Milwaukee. So I guess ALL test kits in this hobby are junk?

I think people need to understand that elements and things don't need to be exact, but just between ranges. Testing will reveal trends over time that need to be addressed even if they aren't exact.

I'm certainly not stressing about the individual numbers to that degree. I'm more interested in what has changed since the last test, and if the last 3 tests show a constant climb/decrease.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use the Milwaukee perfectly. I cleaned the unit every single time and I calibrated it with RODI water. The unit simply has an accuracy of 2PPT. Why is that hard for you to accept?
Bingo there’s your problem you’re not supposed to calibrate it with Aro DI it’s supposed to be used distilled water maybe that’s your issue and you should learn to read the directions

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's plenty accurate for our use. Get it around 1.025 and you're set. It makes no difference if your tank runs at 1.023 or 1.027. Just keep it close and you're fine. Salinity is probably the easiest parameter to get right and keep stable.

I run 2 part and have for years.

This isn't an insult or attack on anyone but people make this hobby so much harder than it needs to be
This. I aim for 1.025 just incase of a little margin of error. Also leave it inside the house so it’s acclimated to one temperature.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo there’s your problem you’re not supposed to calibrate it with Aro DI it’s supposed to be used distilled water maybe that’s your issue and you should learn to read the directions
Mine calibrates identical to my ro and there distilled water. So idk

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use the Milwaukee perfectly. I cleaned the unit every single time and I calibrated it with RODI water. The unit simply has an accuracy of 2PPT. Why is that hard for you to accept?
Maybe it's defective which happens. Did you contact Milwaukee about it? Maybe they'll replace it or maybe they have a method of adjustment for it. I've always heard good things about them and that will probably be my next salinity meter.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not junk just Hobby Grade!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally used the same water they sent me to calibrate it multiple times.

The unit doesn’t always show 2 ppt difference, but often enough that it’s annoying. I was trying to use the Milwaukee to double check the Apex, but now I just use my conductivity calibration solution to check.

A few months ago I was confused why ICP said my salinity was 33ppt when I maintained it at 35ppt.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I was confused why ICP said my salinity was 33ppt when I maintained it at 35ppt.
Hmmm wow I had this same thing happen with icp 2x in a row now. Maybe you have something here. Lol thanks now you added another thing on my plate I have to do more research for :) I’m gunna look more into this myself now

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm wow I had this same thing happen with icp 2x in a row now. Maybe you have something here. Lol thanks now you added another thing on my plate I have to do more research for :) I’m gunna look more into this myself now
Bingo!

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no difference between using RODI or distilled water For 'calibration'.

The instructions were written by some dude in marketing, without input from a scientist, I'd wager.
Well said. Imo the Milwaukee refractometer is my best tool I’ve bought to date. Idk how I could get by with out it.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup mine is high too at 1.027 but the worse part is customer won’t even response to email. No way I will support their products in the future.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup mine is high too at 1.027 but the worse part is customer won’t even response to email. No way I will support their products in the future.
Well a result of 1.024 to 1.028 is within their spec for 1.026 seawater so there is no need for them to respond.

The innacuracy is why mine is in the junk box in the garage.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a result of 1.024 to 1.028 is within their spec for 1.026 seawater so there is no need for them to respond.

The innacuracy is why mine is in the junk box in the garage.
So if you own a company and a customer emailed you to find out the whereabouts of the package you shipped out. I think you’re ok to just not response to the email because it’s being shipped out? Thads NOT customer service. The appropriate customer service would be response and advice what you just said.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I didn’t claim anything was junk, but there are endless threads complaining of bad batches of salt (magnesium at 1206 ppm would likely trigger many of these) even if the salt perfectly matches natural seawater and the salinity was reported to be 35 ppm (but was actually 33 ppt based on a perfectly within spec Milwaukee refractometer).

If you then allow for uncertainty in the magnesium kit itself, then values well below 1200 ppm are within spec.

there’s a lot of stacking errors there. These Milwaukee errors are not instead of kit errors, they add on top of them. lol

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was well known that the Milwaukee refractometer reads a little high. I was looking into them at one point and came across this issue frequently.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back