Milwaukee Tester wrong?

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been having some corals die off and it’s been a battle trying to figure out why.

I have a Milwaukee digital ma887 tester. I filed every direction to calibrate and test. I’ve had it for a year now that I’m looking more into it my refractometer the cheap one with light says my tanks at 1.027 the Milwaukee is showing 1.025.

my refractometer is newer and I have calibrated it. It clearly shows 1.027.

What should I believe?? The digital one or the refractometer?. Also I did buy the Milwaukee on Amazon warehouse so it was a returned unit. Maybe it is defective?

Thanks

U

User1

View Badges
My Milwaukee has pretty much always given high readings. I find myself relying more on my regular refractometer.

No kidding. I thought maybe it was because mine is darn near 20 years old but it too is reading high. I calibrate and use a reference after and sure enough, it is high. Check the tank - reads the same so I know it is close to the reference / calibration. Just silly that it is so far off.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re saying it’s that off?! Holly cow!

so a 1.025 could be a 1.027???
Mine consistently reads 0.001 higher than the calibration fluid. One of them is off. I don’t think it matters. I prefer the repeatability of my Milwaukee over my other methods.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The differences in those salinity values (Sg actually) isn't enough to create problems. Something else is causing your issues.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The differences in those salinity values (Sg actually) isn't enough to create problems. Something else is causing your issues.

well im having issues with lps and lps is known to be sensitive to high sq levels. If my tanks been running 1.028 , I don’t see how that can’t effect them long term.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s silly to me! So that might be my issue. I guess I’m not using this anymore.

I’ll trust my $20 refractometer
How do you know your $20 refractometer is right?

I agree with @madweazl - If you've been running consistently at the same levels there's something else going on.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll agree that the stability is the key not so much the actual reading, as long as it’s within an acceptable range. It’s pretty easy to verify the reading though with a known good reference solution.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know your $20 refractometer is right?

I agree with @madweazl - If you've been running consistently at the same levels there's something else going on.

its a newer refractormeter, so I’m going to assume it’s right. I could buy another to check.

ShellSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing a high reading on my Milwaukee as well. calibration fluid is 35 ppt and Old Milwaukee reads 37 ppt. Stick with Budweiser lol.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same issues.. Had an ICP test done. My salinity was low. 33.2 vs 35. Milwaukee unit reads 35. Sure enough, checked it against a reference solution and another known tank value and my Milwaukee unit is reading almost 2ppt high and the tank is almost 2ppt low. I turned my salinity probe on my apex back on yesterday... Sure enough, that says 33.2 as well. I guess the Milwaukee unit could still usefull so long as I assume it reads around 2ppt/.002SG high.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back