Min Tank Size for Lubbocki Fairy Wrasse?

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liveaquaria (50gal) and Blue Zoo Aquatics (30gal) have two different figures for he min tank size for a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse. Any idea why the big difference between them? What would people recommend as the real number?

(note I'm not looking to squeeze the wrasse - the tank I have in mind is 60 gal. just curious why the numbers are so different, and what the real number should be)

Last edited:

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a big fish gets up to 3 inches total. would do 50 gallons and if you have to keep it in a smaller tank than no less than 30. And I'm sure you know this with every wrasse you have to have a tight lid on top or cover so they don't jump out.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found Blue Zoo has a few recommendations that are a little too small.
Agree, and in this instance imagining a lubbocki in a biocube hurts me a bit. :(

For a C. lubbocki a standard 40b is good.
Also agree, but it's important to note that a 40b is 3' in length. Cirrhilabrus need some swimming room. ;)

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, and in this instance imagining a lubbocki in a biocube hurts me a bit. :(

Also agree, but it's important to note that a 40b is 3' in length. Cirrhilabrus need some swimming room. ;)

That all makes sense. But when I think of a 30 gal, I think of the aqueon ones you get at PetPlace rather than the cubes (I'm not a cube tank fan, unless it's big. Give me a 40B over a same volume 20ish cube anyday). 36x13x16 (or swap width and height for a 30 breeder). Or even better is the 33long, 48x14x14 (definitely external measurement, internal is prob. 48X12X12). Versus the 40B's 36X16X16 internal measurements.

Anyway, thanks all. So in the end, for them width is as, maybe a bit more, important than total volume. Makes sense given the way this fish is.

And yes, indeed it seems you want a tight lid.........

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 76.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.9%
Back