Fairy/flasher wrasse in shallow tank

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,

I got something to make up my mind here, I got intention to upgrade my tank to a shallow reef, maybe by the size of 3ft x 2ft x 2ft/1ft. But I heard that wrasse need the height as well.
Does a fairy/flasher do well under a shallow tank by either 3x2x2 or a 3x2x1?
Also If is was a bare bottom tank, shouldn't be an issue right since they aren't sand dweller wrasse.

I got a pintail, lubbock & a blue flasher in my list.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,

I got something to make up my mind here, I got intention to upgrade my tank to a shallow reef, maybe by the size of 3ft x 2ft x 2ft/1ft. But I heard that wrasse need the height as well.
Also If is was a bare bottom tank, shouldn't be an issue right since they aren't sand dweller wrasse.

3x2x2 would definitely work. The 1ft depth would definitely be pushing it though.

And yes you don’t need sand but you will need some good holes or cracks for them to sleep in.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,

I personally would aim for the 2’ height over the 1’ height for the flasher however I have had fairies in 1’ height without an issue (Unfortunately I lost the fairy I had in the shallow tank yesterday for a different reason).

I would personally go for a 4’ tank for a lubbocki as although they are smaller fairies, I had 2 and each one got to around 3.5-4 inches.
Also, they both used every bit of my 4’ tank once they began to display to eachother and my other wrasses.
IMG_0601.jpeg

IMG_0593.jpeg

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback, if 2ft is workable i would go for that in my future planning. As for the wrasse list, i would re-consider on the lubbock though, might give away and got another type of wrasse.
Noted on the hiding places for the wrasse too, as my plan were to made it a dedicated tank mainly for fairy/flasher wrasse.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback, if 2ft is workable i would go for that in my future planning. As for the wrasse list, i would re-consider on the lubbock though, might give away and got another type of wrasse.
Noted on the hiding places for the wrasse too, as my plan were to made it a dedicated tank mainly for fairy/flasher wrasse.
I’d personally swap the Lubbocki for a Pintail Fairy - Cirrhilabrus isosceles. These guys are gorgeous. I loved mine, unfortunately he was the fairy I lost last night.
IMG_7416.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back