Mindstream

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If for some reason this unit does not pan out it would be a greater loss to the Aquarium industry than even a scenerio in which the Vortech had been shelved after being introduced. Just like the Vortech this thing has numerous patents that would make it almost impossible for someone else to ever make a design this simplistic. Who know, the fact that the other companies have gone with ion probes makes me believe that even the Florescent dye reflectivity stuff may be patent for aquarium water testing. You can bet the rotating disks of dye are patented along with probably a bunch of key stuff that would make it near impossible to replicate one. Even if someone else could build the exact product, I am pretty sure that after seeing the demand for this one the price would be even higher. I am really hoping that this is just a setback that they can fix and get ahead of. IMHO this is my dream water testing system and if I have to buy anything else, it is going to be a huge compromise.
Lol,I thought that too until I got my trident. It actually seems to match what my other test kits read right out of the box without spending 2 months fighting it. So I have to empty some waste water here and there and I don't have ammonia monitoring with the trident but at least it works and if I have an issue I will get a response from Neptune within 24 hours.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol,I thought that too until I got my trident. It actually seems to match what my other test kits read right out of the box without spending 2 months fighting it. So I have to empty some waste water here and there and I don't have ammonia monitoring with the trident but at least it works and if I have an issue I will get a response from Neptune within 24 hours.

I am trully happy that you are happy with your trident but I am now at a point in my life where I want to get away from added equipment maintenace and reagents altogether. I may look at the Ion Director if the MS does not pan out. My only issue with that is the vague way they are handling the probe lifespan and replacement costs. It still is not an elegant solution like the MS but if the MS does not show up and nothing else appears on the market in the next six months i might have to go that route.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trully happy that you are happy with your trident but I am now at a point in my life where I want to get away from added equipment maintenace and reagents altogether. I may look at the Ion Director if the MS does not pan out. My only issue with that is the vague way they are handling the probe lifespan and replacement costs. It still is not an elegant solution like the MS but if the MS does not show up and nothing else appears on the market in the next six months i might have to go that route.
Trust me man, I want the mindstream to be great as much as you do but I want something that works right now. If the MS works out I can always sell the trident later, I'm sure I could sell it for what I paid no problem right now. If it doesn't work out, I'll go about trying to get my money back. Right now they are both monitoring my tank and I'm just checking readings from both and my test kits to see what looks right.

JohnnyKnuckles

FragTags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another thing to make you say Hmmmmmm. Here is a copy of the description for one of many of the patents that were granted by a continuation off the original 2012 application. Guess what is the Date of the final grant of the last one.......... October 15, 2019 ..... Just a little before the full out bugout.... I guess you sit back now and license the patents to a company who can truly produce!!

I truly hope I am totally wrong, I want this to work as much as everyone else.....But if I'm right, like said above......This is a huge setback to the aquarium/reefer community.

• Error monitoring and correction systems and methods in aquatic environment monitoring
    Patent number: 10444158
    Abstract: Systems, methods, and software that measure a plurality of error values each related to a different condition of an aquatic environment monitoring system including a degradation in a chemical indicator due to photo-aging, a degradation in a chemical indicator due to water-aging, a physical contamination of a chemical indicator, an illumination imbalance related to an optical reader, a degradation of a light source of an optical reader, a contamination in water between an optical reader and a chemical indicator, a displacement due to friction between a chemical indicator apparatus and a monitoring unit, an error intrinsic in a chemical indicator, and an error in distance between a chemical indicator and an optical reader. The plurality of error values are used to determine a confidence level that is compared to a threshold value associated with the monitoring system. A correction instruction is generated for correcting one or more of the conditions.
    Type: Grant
    Filed: February 28, 2017
    Date of Patent: October 15, 2019
    Assignee: Step Ahead Innovations, Inc.
    Inventor: James E. Clark

• https://patents.justia.com/assignee/step-ahead-innovations-inc

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent them an e-mail today stating that a company That asked for $1000 for a product promised in eight weeks and it’s been now four months and can’t even return an email it’s not someone I want to do business with ..I said at the least you should be responding to an email advising and giving updates while you are holding payment and have been paid. If I don’t get a response to my email tomorrow my order is cancelled. In fact I told them that. Bottom
Line to keep me as a costumer I need an e-mail I stayed. If they can’t do that why would I wan to do business with them and be at the mercy of monthly disc replacements

Don't expect a response. I sent an email for a refund after never getting a reply. I had to contact bank to cancel

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF RobbyG decides in the future that he needs a refund, I predict the company will fail. At this point, just going to follow and keep doing 10 percent water changes every weekend.

U

User1

View Badges

Actually I think the probe will be the most elegant out of all of the automated units. One thing GHL does have going that others do not is estitics. I'm not sure how many probes we are talking about but they are not going to be that large (assumptions on my part of course) so should be able to be tucked out of the way in the sump.

Tridet is a unit that does take some some space. Nothing in the sump really.

Mindstream you know more than I do but it is a disc unit plus other micro electronics on the head until.

Each have their thing but I'm going out on a limb here and saying GHL will probably look the best out of the three. But not all of us are Fabio and need some love too ;)

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I think the probe will be the most elegant out of all of the automated units. One thing GHL does have going that others do not is estitics. I'm not sure how many probes we are talking about but they are not going to be that large (assumptions on my part of course) so should be able to be tucked out of the way in the sump.

Tridet is a unit that does take some some space. Nothing in the sump really.

Mindstream you know more than I do but it is a disc unit plus other micro electronics on the head until.

Each have their thing but I'm going out on a limb here and saying GHL will probably look the best out of the three. But not all of us are Fabio and need some love too ;)

The GHL probes go into a box, it looks just like the KH Director and should be just a sample line in the water. No reagent, but a bottle of calibration fluid to calibrate the probes prior to testing.

1574427052234.png

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ion director uses one probe for everything. The rep that was being interviewed sounded extremely vague when asked how much it would cost to replace it. I could swear I saw sweat coming off his forehead when the question was asked
He then said the price would be announced after launch.

As for the lifespan he said one to two years depending! I am going to assume one year.
I would bet two is if you rarely use it.

The other issue is that it does not read Alk. So that’s another big expense to get the Kh Director for Alk.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow,
I read this whole thread. Where else in this life would anyone put up with this?

I've got a few bridges I'm sure some of you would love to buy...

My advice,
CANCEL YOUR ORDERS AND GET A REFUND!!!

Buy the product when the product ACTUALLY EXISTS and is in production and shipping.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow,
I read this whole thread. Where else in this life would anyone put up with this?

I've got a few bridges I'm sure some of you would love to buy...

My advice,
CANCEL YOUR ORDERS AND GET A REFUND!!!

Buy the product when the product ACTUALLY EXISTS and is in production and shipping.

Do you accept magic beans as payment for the bridges?

JohnnyKnuckles

FragTags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here our chance....get em while they last: Trident in stock ready to ship:

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here our chance....get em while they last: Trident in stock ready to ship:

Good catch.
I just ordered one.
I already have the ReefBot. Now I have a Neptune Trident as well.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked...out of stock!

Darn....
I'm happy I moved on it when I did. The Trident is almost as elusive as the Mindstream except the Trident actually EXISTS.

For everyone still waiting on their Mindstream to show up after paying $1000 about 1/2 a year ago...
I've still got those bridges for sale.
Free shipping with every order.

Last edited:

kzp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sign me up for a bridge! Certainly about as likely to get one as a MS.....and the bridge may actually be usable and reliable....something none of us can vouch over long term use with the MS.

kzp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else wonder whether MS knew that they did not have a reliable, workable, and reproducible device, but 'threw it out there anyway' just to do further "Beta testing" with those who were kickstarters and MACNA "prizewinners"--many or most who have actually gotten units, and also to collect some further seed funding from suckers like us (but hoping they could fix the bugs prior to actually having to actually ship out working units to non-kickstarters)?

For those who have not looked at other MS threads, there are now people reporting that either their units don't work anymore and/or can't connect with MS servers, and yet can't get ANY response from tech support at MS either by phone or e-mail in days. In my opinion, this is a very ominous sign. Any other thoughts out there?

If all of our worst fears about MS turn out to be true (which looks likely at this point), then I would think that some lawyers could possibly make a cogent fraud case against this. Class action, anyone?

Back