Mini Complete Tank- what could possibly go wrong...

Rachel541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says, what could possibly go wrong... a 0.4g reef tank... Easy peasy...

Anyway, even though I'm over the pond, I've decided to take part in the unofficial MCT competition and set up one of these teeny tiny tanks :)
I've been intrigued by them for ages and what a good excuse to finally get one and try them out :)

I'm assuming the biggest issues this tank will face is heat and evaporation. In such a tiny volume of water, even the smallest amount of evaporation could cause a big salinity swing and all the equipment running in the tank will contribute to heating it. External room temps will also have a much bigger effect than on a larger tank.
With that said, I'll be making some mods to the tank to try and help maintain as stable environment as possible. I've bought a micro smart ATO and a temperature controller which I'll install on the tank.

I plan on doing weekly 100% water changes to maintain the water quality and I'm hoping this will be all the maintenance needed.

Stocking wise I want to keep it fairly simple coral so they are a bit more forgiving in case something does go awry! I am planning to have a zoa dominated tank with a few other softies. In a set-up this small, I'm hoping the zoas will be more of a impact compared to a larger tank where the little things can get a bit lost I find!
I also like the idea of having a centre-piece shrimp as the inhabitant of the tank. Something a bit unusual that would be lost/ elusive in a larger tank. But I'll wait and see and make a decision on that later down the line :)

Tank has been ordered and will hopefully arrive before the 1st October start date of the competition ;Nailbiting

Couldn't resist buying some frags from other reefers which I will keep in my main tank until this one is ready for corals :)
On the way so far I've got :
Firework Clove Polyps
Zoas:
Petroglyphs
Pandoras
Space Monsters
Purple Bees
Laser Lemons
Ever Lasting Gobstoppers

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 14.48.56.png

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says, what could possibly go wrong... a 0.4g reef tank... Easy peasy...

Anyway, even though I'm over the pond, I've decided to take part in the unofficial MCT competition and set up one of these teeny tiny tanks :)
I've been intrigued by them for ages and what a good excuse to finally get one and try them out :)

I'm assuming the biggest issues this tank will face is heat and evaporation. In such a tiny volume of water, even the smallest amount of evaporation could cause a big salinity swing and all the equipment running in the tank will contribute to heating it. External room temps will also have a much bigger effect than on a larger tank.
With that said, I'll be making some mods to the tank to try and help maintain as stable environment as possible. I've bought a micro smart ATO and a temperature controller which I'll install on the tank.

I plan on doing weekly 100% water changes to maintain the water quality and I'm hoping this will be all the maintenance needed.

Stocking wise I want to keep it fairly simple coral so they are a bit more forgiving in case something does go awry! I am planning to have a zoa dominated tank with a few other softies. In a set-up this small, I'm hoping the zoas will be more of a impact compared to a larger tank where the little things can get a bit lost I find!
I also like the idea of having a centre-piece shrimp as the inhabitant of the tank. Something a bit unusual that would be lost/ elusive in a larger tank. But I'll wait and see and make a decision on that later down the line :)

Tank has been ordered and will hopefully arrive before the 1st October start date of the competition ;Nailbiting

Couldn't resist buying some frags from other reefers which I will keep in my main tank until this one is ready for corals :)
On the way so far I've got :
Firework Clove Polyps
Zoas:
Petroglyphs
Pandoras
Space Monsters
Purple Bees
Laser Lemons
Ever Lasting Gobstoppers

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 14.48.56.png
Nice! Keep us updated.

OP
OP
Rachel541

Rachel541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey cool, I just got mine yesterday!! You must have fallen victim to the same marketing push that I did

Following!
Haha to be honest I came across the competition post by complete accident while 'working from home'... Wasn't looking for a new tank or anything but hey, when the opportunity arises! :p

Will keep an eye out for your build thread! :)

OP
OP
Rachel541

Rachel541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link please!I think I became aware when an old reefbuilder article bubbled up in my news feed two weeks ago. I wanna compete too!
Here you go :)

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! I will stick around to see how this evolves.

Some other stocking ideas:
Live mysis shrimp
Amphipods
Munnid isopods
Pom pom crab
Pederson cleaner shrimp
Sexy anemone shrimp
Dove snails
Dwarf planaxis (sand-sifter)
Stomatella
Chitons
Micro brittle stars
Pineapple sponges
Photosynthetic plating sponges (red, purple, and blue)
Cross-barred venus clam (maybe this could serve as a protein skimmer, with supplemental phytoplankton instead of electricity)
Ricordea
Acetabularia
(Mermaid’s wineglass)
Codium (Dead man’s fingers)
Hypnea
Branching coralline
Blue scroll algae
Live rubble (Salty Bottom Reef)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rachel541

Rachel541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a stand for the tank last night :) 19.5cm square so perfectly size :D
Bought an oak chopping board to replace the top of it so it matches my other furniture :)
s-l1600.jpeg

The first of the zoa frags arrived today too :) They'll be sitting in my nano until the MCT is ready for them. I'm hoping to take a few polyps from each frag and share them across the 2 tanks :)
I'll post some pics once they've settled in and opened up.

OP
OP
Rachel541

Rachel541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First frags have started to settle into my main tank :) They should open up some more over the next few days :)

Reverse Space Monsters
IMG_20210916_225832.jpg

Laser Lemons
IMG_20210916_225755.jpg

Purple Bees
IMG_20210916_225740.jpg

Everlasting Gobstoppers in the back and Rastas in the front (they only arrived today so are still settling in)
IMG_20210916_225813.jpg

More arriving tomorrow

They'll settle in here and grow out some more so I can then split them and have them in both tanks hopefully

OP
OP
Rachel541

Rachel541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yey! It's finally wet!

I've fitted the ATO into the sump, organised all the cables and electrics in the stand. I need to buy some more USB plugs as I'm 1 short and I want them all to be the same colour!

Filled with water to make sure it's all water tight.

Finalised my Scape and glued on some zoa frags. I'll be putting that in the tank once the new plugs arrive.

Pics:
IMG_20211002_172521.jpg

IMG_20211002_172412.jpg

IMG_20211002_172345.jpg

IMG_20211002_172433.jpg

IMG_20211002_172456.jpg

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask, is that a bathroom toilet paper roll holder? Its the only thing like that I can think of that would be that small. I love it though, I love finding other uses for things. Reminds me that I need to pick up some cable management stuff as well, I still have a mess back there, lol.

OP
OP
Rachel541

Rachel541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask, is that a bathroom toilet paper roll holder? Its the only thing like that I can think of that would be that small. I love it though, I love finding other uses for things. Reminds me that I need to pick up some cable management stuff as well, I still have a mess back there, lol.
It certainly is
I've added an oak chopping board to the top to match my other furniture and make a larger surface for working on :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back