*Unofficial* Mini Complete Tank Contest

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!
I've been eyeing the MCTs for a couple years, and would love to get a little (or big, bring it on!) group together to start an unofficial contest on who can create the most knock-your-socks-clean-off Mini Complete Tank over the course of a year or so. I'm thinking the winner would be determined by a community poll, and we're playing for fun/bragging rights.

The unofficial rules / ideas for this contest:

1. Everyone MUST start with a new (to you) MCT; Tank must also be dry at the start of the contest to make it fair.
2. Each contestant can modify their MCT however they choose--this includes adding DIY lighting, flow, ATO, ect. If you want to get fancy and make little add-ons that's part of the fun!
3. To stay in the running for ultimate mini complete tank master, contestants will need to post MONTHLY updates to either a communal thread or personal build threads (or both). We can determine this as a group on what will be most convenient for everyone.
4. Livestock can be sourced from other displays, or bought specifically for this build.
5. For judging, I think it would be very cool to have everyone do a small write-up, included with a photo of the finished product, detailing what the vision was and/or what each contestant did with their tank during the year.

I'm thinking unofficial startup time would be at the end of this month, but we can gauge interest! Please reply here if you're interested in playing.

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!
I've been eyeing the MCTs for a couple years, and would love to get a little (or big, bring it on!) group together to start an unofficial contest on who can create the most knock-your-socks-clean-off Mini Complete Tank over the course of a year or so. I'm thinking the winner would be determined by a community poll, and we're playing for fun/bragging rights.

The unofficial rules / ideas for this contest:

1. Everyone MUST start with a new (to you) MCT; Tank must also be dry at the start of the contest to make it fair.
2. Each contestant can modify their MCT however they choose--this includes adding DIY lighting, flow, ATO, ect. If you want to get fancy and make little add-ons that's part of the fun!
3. To stay in the running for ultimate mini complete tank master, contestants will need to post MONTHLY updates to either a communal thread or personal build threads (or both). We can determine this as a group on what will be most convenient for everyone.
4. Livestock can be sourced from other displays, or bought specifically for this build.
5. For judging, I think it would be very cool to have everyone do a small write-up, included with a photo of the finished product, detailing what the vision was and/or what each contestant did with their tank during the year.

I'm thinking unofficial startup time would be at the end of this month, but we can gauge interest! Please reply here if you're interested in playing.
Count me in

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen 0 successful MCT but may have not been looking in the right place. Almost impulse bought one but I'd like to see a couple of links to successful ones.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know the volume they hold?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the trigger, hope it doesn't take till September 22 :confused:.

I messaged OP, since it's an unofficial contest I think we should invite people on N-R to participate.

I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna be able to pull off keeping the tank well but worth a shot.
Nice, I always forget about ebay :)

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
Sorry for the delay in response. I absolutely think inviting more people in from NR and making a small buy-in pot are great ideas. You can also order a tank off of AliExpress (and they're about half the price), which I'm going to do! Everyone has to start with the MCT because it makes the playing field more fair and I think it will be a fun and unique challenge. If the ordering process takes longer, and to get more people in on this little contest, we can push back the start date until October-ish if that sounds good to everyone. Please chime in if you are game or not here so we can get a rough head count. Thanks!

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
Sorry for the delay in response. I absolutely think inviting more people in from NR and making a small buy-in pot are great ideas. You can also order a tank off of AliExpress (and they're about half the price), which I'm going to do! Everyone has to start with the MCT because it makes the playing field more fair and I think it will be a fun and unique challenge. If the ordering process takes longer, and to get more people in on this little contest, we can push back the start date until October-ish if that sounds good to everyone. Please chime in if you are game or not here so we can get a rough head count. Thanks!
Ailexpress is much cheaper, thanks for the tip! I wish there was an option with a heater though

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some with the heater and temp probe on aliexpress, it's the most expensive option, coming in at $52 ish. But still forever on shipping.

Side note, I'm in too! Nailing down which one I'm ordering from today. So cute. I did want a sumped aquarium for my birthday..... I almost bought a (used) reefer 350, but got scared away from the complexity of it all. This seems like a good compromise, lol. :cool:

Back