*Unofficial* Mini Complete Tank Contest

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in. Ordered from Aliexpress, hopefully won’t take as long as quotes for shipping. Is there a firm start date, and should there be a required monthly check-in (like either the first week of the month, or even just post an update at some point each month)? I think being able to track the progress of our tanks and to be able to see what everyone else is doing will drive innovation and creativity (and friendly competition). Should probably come up with some ground rules, like what kind of mods are allowed and whether or not adding anything that provides extra water volume is okay (or no mods allowed?). I think it will be a really fun project, already thinking up some cool ideas.

Edit: also probably a good idea to have a ‘no fish’ rule.

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's happening! We've pushed back the start time a bit to give everyone a chance to get their supplies and participate. :)

How about everyone tries to get tank orders in by the end of this week so we can get this going asap? Does that sound reasonable to everyone?
I’m in. Ordered from Aliexpress, hopefully won’t take as long as quotes for shipping. Is there a firm start date, and should there be a required monthly check-in (like either the first week of the month, or even just post an update at some point each month)? I think being able to track the progress of our tanks and to be able to see what everyone else is doing will drive innovation and creativity (and friendly competition). Should probably come up with some ground rules, like what kind of mods are allowed and whether or not adding anything that provides extra water volume is okay (or no mods allowed?). I think it will be a really fun project, already thinking up some cool ideas.

Haha yeah a no fish rule would be ethical but also a no brainer I would think.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah a no fish rule would be ethical but also a no brainer I would think.

I agree, definitely no fish!

I have a list of basic guidelines outlined in the first post, but I will make a more comprehensive list and update everyone here in a day or two. Yes, I was thinking monthly updates would be required to remain in the competition as well!

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may join in. I bought one last year but never set it up.
Of course! I'm going to add into the rules that everyone has to make a post proving the tank is dry to start just to make it fair, but there's no reason if you have one laying around that you can't join us in the fun!! :)

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, here is an updated list of rules, requirements, and start time for our contest.

The agreed on start date has been moved to OCT. 1st
It's a soft start date though, so as long as you get water in it by the 31st, you're in the contest! All future updates on your tank will need to be made by the 5th of each month.

The initial soft start date is to accommodate members that may have shipping delays, so that everyone can participate. I think it's fair to require that everyone has their tanks ordered by the start date, and can prove that the tank was purchased by this date if there is a major shipping delay so that people aren't straggling in randomly. This will make the contest more fair for all participating members.

The gist of the contest:
[ ] Create a unique MCT
[ ] Run time: 12 months
[ ] Start date: Oct. 1, 2021
[ ] End date: Oct. 1, 2022
[ ] Monthly check-ins: by the 5th of each month.

Other general rules:

1. Everyone MUST start with a new (to you) MCT; Tank must also be dry at the start of the contest to make it fair.
2. Each contestant can modify their MCT however they choose (within guidelines)--this includes adding DIY lighting, flow, ATO, monitoring, ect.
3. Equipment and mods can be made at any time during the contest. Again, this is part of the fun!
4. NO PLUMBING TO LARGER SYSTEMS. Any add-on water volume (refugium, sump, ect. cannot exceed .5 gallons). This is a pico tank contest after all.
5. To stay in the running for ultimate mini complete tank master, contestants will need to post MONTHLY (by the 5th) updates to the communal thread. Contestants may (please do!) also create personal build threads to document their progress. The communal thread will be used to keep track of everyone.
6. Livestock can be sourced from other displays, or bought specifically for this build. All coral and small invertebrates are fair game.
7. No fish.
8. This is a friendly contest; please only offer criticism if it's asked for by other members. We're all here to have fun and see what we can create in such a tiny space
9. Everyone gets one "warning" or "free pass" for a late update. After a second missed update, you'll be disqualified from the final judging. I think this is fair to keep everyone accountable and in the loop! If there's a conflict such as vacation please reach out and we can figure something out. Again, this is for fun, but I also want to make it fair for everyone playing.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank should be here next week, and my ideas are already flowing. Very excited to start this experiment. This will be my first sumped tank, lol.
Haha congrats on the tiny sump!
I've already started putting together a dry scape. I can't help myself lol

stephnjeph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got it. I ordered 3. One for me, one for my wife, and one for my daughter. They will be creating R2R accounts and participating as well. We received our tanks in the mail a few days ago. If possible, a list of the active participants would be nice so we know exactly who and how many are participating. I hope quite a few reefers jump on board and take part in the fun. Very exciting. I am looking forward to seeing everyones build.

stephnjeph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We will be running 100% stock tanks. No add ons, no modifications with the exception of filter media. I am more curious as to how the tank will flourish for an extended period of time as is directly out of the box.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. I ordered 3. One for me, one for my wife, and one for my daughter. They will be creating R2R accounts and participating as well. We received our tanks in the mail a few days ago. If possible, a list of the active participants would be nice so we know exactly who and how many are participating. I hope quite a few reefers jump on board and take part in the fun. Very exciting. I am looking forward to seeing everyones build.
That's awesome! I'm excited to see what you all come up with. A little family competition sounds really fun haha

I'm also hoping everyone participating chimes in. So far it seems like there will be a decent number of participants, but it's hard to tell through the jumble of the thread conversations.

*** for anyone who sees this, please let us know if you've ordered your tanks or plan to. Thank you!!

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, here is an updated list of rules, requirements, and start time for our contest.

The agreed on start date has been moved to OCT. 1st
It's a soft start date though, so as long as you get water in it by the 31st, you're in the contest! All future updates on your tank will need to be made by the 5th of each month.

The initial soft start date is to accommodate members that may have shipping delays, so that everyone can participate. I think it's fair to require that everyone has their tanks ordered by the start date, and can prove that the tank was purchased by this date if there is a major shipping delay so that people aren't straggling in randomly. This will make the contest more fair for all participating members.

The gist of the contest:
[ ] Create a unique MCT
[ ] Run time: 12 months
[ ] Start date: Oct. 1, 2021
[ ] End date: Oct. 1, 2022
[ ] Monthly check-ins: by the 5th of each month.

Other general rules:

1. Everyone MUST start with a new (to you) MCT; Tank must also be dry at the start of the contest to make it fair.
2. Each contestant can modify their MCT however they choose (within guidelines)--this includes adding DIY lighting, flow, ATO, monitoring, ect.
3. Equipment and mods can be made at any time during the contest. Again, this is part of the fun!
4. NO PLUMBING TO LARGER SYSTEMS. Any add-on water volume (refugium, sump, ect. cannot exceed .5 gallons). This is a pico tank contest after all.
5. To stay in the running for ultimate mini complete tank master, contestants will need to post MONTHLY (by the 5th) updates to the communal thread. Contestants may (please do!) also create personal build threads to document their progress. The communal thread will be used to keep track of everyone.
6. Livestock can be sourced from other displays, or bought specifically for this build. All coral and small invertebrates are fair game.
7. No fish.
8. This is a friendly contest; please only offer criticism if it's asked for by other members. We're all here to have fun and see what we can create in such a tiny space
9. Everyone gets one "warning" or "free pass" for a late update. After a second missed update, you'll be disqualified from the final judging. I think this is fair to keep everyone accountable and in the loop! If there's a conflict such as vacation please reach out and we can figure something out. Again, this is for fun, but I also want to make it fair for everyone playing.

Will this be the communal thread or will you start a fresh one when the contest "starts"?

Very excited. My tank should be here tomorrow.

stephnjeph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have never heard of anyone keeping those tanks going for over a year. To much work. Unless you crazy modify it to run on another system
We will see how it goes. Hopefully well. We have a little over 3,000 combined gallons running, but all of our tanks are large with the exception of a few smaller tanks in the 100 gallon range and 1 fluval Evo 13.5 that we picked up just because we wanted to try out a nano. I have been interested in trying one of these Mini Complete Tanks for a while now just because the crazy small size had peeked my interest. This small community contest was enough push for me to purchase one (6 actually, 3 for my family to participate and the other 3 to give away to a few reefers to play along with us). I am going to hope for the best. Wish me luck

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of anyone keeping those tanks going for over a year. To much work. Unless you crazy modify it to run on another system…then heat, ATO, etc won’t be an issue.
We'll see! I've seen people create amazing jar pico tanks that are successful for years, so maybe some here will find success as well. These tanks also do have small heaters, and flow can be adjusted with the addition of small airstones.

Part of the reason I was hoping to get this contest going was to keep people motivated to maintain a small tank. I think it will help keep us interested and we can work together to find what works and what doesn't. :)

Will this be the communal thread or will you start a fresh one when the contest "starts"?

Very excited. My tank should be here tomorrow.

I'm thinking I'll link a new thread for updates and tank discussions to this one once the contest starts just to keep things a bit more organized. Until then, we can keep ideas and discussions here though!

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I saw this earlier. I just started mine this week and saw the thread today. Good luck to you all. Ill be following along. This is mine currently. More corals coming soon.
IMG_20210822_183232_357.jpg

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I saw this earlier. I just started mine this week and saw the thread today. Good luck to you all. Ill be following along. This is mine currently. More corals coming soon.
IMG_20210822_183232_357.jpg
It looks great so far though!!
Feel free to tag along with us and share your tank along the way:) even though you won't be in the contest itself, it would still be cool to have you share your successes/progress and be part of the MCT fun!

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great so far though!!
Feel free to tag along with us and share your tank along the way:) even though you won't be in the contest itself, it would still be cool to have you share your successes/progress and be part of the MCT fun!
Thank you. Definetly will. Interested in seeing or finding better solution for return nozzle. Ill post pics along with annotation of not in contest. I'm excited to see what everyone does a well as problems and the solutions.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Definetly will. Interested in seeing or finding better solution for return nozzle. Ill post pics along with annotation of not in contest. I'm excited to see what everyone does a well as problems and the solutions.
What do you not like about it?
I'm honestly looking really forward to sharing and receiving tips on making these mini tanks more convenient to maintain.
Is this your first tank, or a curiosity?:)

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you not like about it?
I'm honestly looking really forward to sharing and receiving tips on making these mini tanks more convenient to maintain.
Is this your first tank, or a curiosity?:)
I think for what it is, any upgrades will need to be done by the purchaser. The return isnt really a strong flow into the main display. There is a nozzle piece attached to pump that shoots water directly into the return chamber. It then travels up the return chamber and pushed into the main display through baffles. There is a good flow but its not strong. I did a little mod where I added tubing to push onto the nozzle. It has alot of flow but need to dispers better rather than form a stream. You may also find sompe pieces slightly warped or tight fit. While some had issues with the tank side slightly bowed making it hard to fit, it was my lid. The other part is the tank I found slightly difficult to seat the tank onto the sump where the return nozzle goes into it. Since the pump return is not lighned up with the main display, the tubing that attaches the nozzle and pump is used to allow reach and seal the chamber.

I do want to say this, despite these very minor things, these tanks are well thought out. The nozzle is done to make it easier to clean and remove. You could even plumb it eventually to a larger sump easily and There is plenty of space in the sump to put just about what ever you need already.

Eventually I would like to setup and auto do see to add fresh saltwater and remove tank water. Set for about half a gallon a day with two 5 gallon jugs. This will prevent me from having to mess with the tank to much. Salinity will auto correct as well. Still will need to off unless I add an auto top off. This is way down the road.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back