*Unofficial* Mini Complete Tank Contest

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted on another site, but my thoughts as having had one of these for 6 months:

if anyone needs a modified setup lmk via PM... took mine down recently.

They are ALOT of work. decided was to much after 6 months... keeping stable temp was nearly impossible (would go from 78 to 86 in AC controlled house in 8hrs due to light and pump heat), and top-offs 2 to 3 times daily without an ato or pump runs dry. I'd rcmd a VERY short contest time as doubt anyone will still be up after 6 months, and pump upgrade is an immediate necessity, as is the light mod unless you are constantly near the tank. If you fill the sump to high and pump stops (power outage or clogged) it backfills sump and floods, then when pump restarts the water level is to low and pump sucks air and no flow in display, which also means the heater is outa of the water in sump now.... so had to buy a battery backup for power issues, and weekly pump/screens/mesh cleanings for clog prevention...

I would seriously rethink this build challenge... jusy my $0.02. I have had many sub 2.5 gallon or less picos, this was the most difficult for me, even home 24/7 for the 6 months it was running

Last edited:

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted on another site, but my thoughts as having had one of these for 6 months:

They are ALOT of work. decided was to much after 6 months... keeping stable temp was nearly impossible (would go from 78 to 86 in AC controlled house in 8hrs due to light and pump heat), and top-offs 2 to 3 times daily without an ato or pump runs dry. I'd rcmd a VERY short contest time as doubt anyone will still be up after 6 months, and pump upgrade is an immediate necessity, as is the light mod unless you are constantly near the tank. If you fill the sump to high and pump stops (power outage or clogged) it backfills sump and floods, then when pump restarts the water level is to low and pump sucks air and no flow in display, which also means the heater is outa of the water in sump now.... so had to buy a battery backup for power issues, and weekly pump/screens/mesh cleanings for clog prevention...

I would seriously rethink this build challenge... jusy my $0,02... I have had many sub 2.5 gallon or less picos, this was the most difficult for me, even home 24/7 for the 6 months it was running
I think alot has to do with what you keep your house temp at as well. The pump powering off and flooding the sump I realized putting together as well. I fill the sump first to point usually around 1/2 to 3/4 inch below top sump. Then fill display to where it just starts to over flow and stop. No issues from overflowing. My evaporation isnt to bad either. But still a bit. If you close off the top opening by putting a clear plate across it should be fine considering there is 2 holes at top for oxygen exchange (I havent done this yet). If you need more you could add air pump to bottom for more oxygen and will keep tank cooler. Current temp is 77.4 with lights on low. Ill post later after lights been on for and hour but never had leds raise temp. If softies, wont be much issue for water changes. But lps and sps, may need dosing or more frequent for elements. Definetly more difficult but also easier to keep things neater.

I agree, I have seen people that have to top off everyday do to evaporation in dryer climates or house. Being in florida is don't have much evaporation but Definetly have some forcing to do water changes more to balance. Definetly going to watch the temp today though and see. Should know in about any hour. But I expect the most low 78 if anything.

Great points and things I missed or forgot to bring up
20210823_111113.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool I love reef contest/challenges I did the NR 365 challenge but moved mid way though and ending up doing a hole house reno so did not really update my tank but it still going..

I tried to start a pico challenge here a few years ago it was shut down for some reason.
I think opening it up you any pico tank would be more fun that way we could have more ppl join in.
I think the MCT are cool idea but not for SW and for me. It ways to dry here and i would need an ATO

so tempting but I think I better pass but would be open to other picos.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has now been about 2 hours since first temp pic. Temp is up to 78.1. Still ok, but in the upper temps. Ill post again later tonight for temp. House is at 76 and it is by my pc and work laptop. This room is slightly warmer than others. But do have ceiling fan on.
20210823_130359_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would seriously rethink this build challenge... jusy my $0.02. I have had many sub 2.5 gallon or less picos, this was the most difficult for me, even home 24/7 for the 6 months it was running
Thanks for the input and things to consider. However, most people have already ordered their tanks, and I think we all want to give them a shot (or I still do). I've already ordered a very simple ATO unit for the tank, but will need to troubleshoot the other issues you mentioned.

I'm still shooting for a year as I'd like to see how long I can keep this itty bitty tank going :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool I love reef contest/challenges I did the NR 365 challenge but moved mid way though and ending up doing a hole house reno so did not really update my tank but it still going..

I tried to start a pico challenge here a few years ago it was shut down for some reason.
I think opening it up you any pico tank would be more fun that way we could have more ppl join in.
I think the MCT are cool idea but not for SW and for me. It ways to dry here and i would need an ATO

so tempting but I think I better pass but would be open to other picos.
For now, since we're already this far along and so many people have their MCT, I'm going to have to stick with it. But there are absolutely ATO options! I'm doing the very simple version of a water bottle attachment that goes on the side of the tank. The lid on the tank will likely need to be modified, but that seems easy enough. If you do choose to join, I really recommend grabbing a tank off of Aliexpress as they're more affordable than through the MCT website.

If this contest goes well, I'd be absolutely interested in other unique build contests! This one is focused on the MCTs though as they're a curiosity for several people, including myself.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has now been about 2 hours since first temp pic. Temp is up to 78.1. Still ok, but in the upper temps. Ill post again later tonight for temp. House is at 76 and it is by my pc and work laptop. This room is slightly warmer than others. But do have ceiling fan on.
20210823_130359_HDR.jpg
I wonder if removing the lid would help? If the problem persists, maybe add a small computer fan nearby.

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my house in socal is kept at 77 with central ac. the 4w AC pump I upgraded to at 40gph (not the stock wimpy dc pump included) contributed to heat, as did light on high setting.... inkbird used to control heater, went from 78 at noon when lights on to 86 at 7pm lights off.. your results may vary.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if removing the lid would help? If the problem persists, maybe add a small computer fan nearby.
As long as for me it doesnt go above 81.0 im ok. Others may not. Removing the lid may help but well also increase evaporation as well a fan. So while you get cooler temps, you will get more evaporation. Another solution would be to add a humidifier to the room. Since moisture is being added, less evaporation will be taking place in the tank. Which then a fan could be added as well. I dont want to post alot of my tank in here since its not elligable and dont want to make it about mine. I do have a thread for mine. I will be adding the pics of temp on there as well.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 hours since last check and its at 78.8. I also checked with a food thermometer which said 77. Unfortunetly I need new batteries for the corallife digital temp as battery seems low. But should still be correct. Hopefully this will give people ideas. And correction. House is set at 75 will be bumping to 76 as I didnt realise it was changed/forgot.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally temp check for the night 79.2. So thats with house at 75 and running for about 11 hours.theyll probably run another hour or 2. But dont see it going higher. Great call on @r20crazy. For pointing out possible temps.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stop tempting me, i keep seeing this dang thread every day.....

stop it :p
C'mon.... do it

I just got my lil tank. It survived my rough usps driver, thankfully. He likes to throw the ones marked 'fragile'.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have something similar been going alike 4 months nothing fancy in it
IMG_20210318_123555_01.jpg
That is nice. I am hoping to add Dragons breath as well or some bit of Macro algae my tank but unsure with my planned water change schedule if Ill have alot of nutrients for it vs corals.. I will be adding pods to. Any issues you have found so far?

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is nice. I am hoping to add Dragons breath as well or some bit of Macro algae my tank but unsure with my planned water change schedule if Ill have alot of nutrients for it vs corals.. I will be adding pods to. Any issues you have found so far?
It needs to be topped up a few times a week I havent been able to grow coral in it the Yuma has been fine but changed color and the dragon's breath macro grows good
IMG_20210824_220012001.jpg

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It needs to be topped up a few times a week I havent been able to grow coral in it the Yuma has been fine but changed color and the dragon's breath macro grows good
IMG_20210824_220012001.jpg
Iv tried Digi a bunch of different zoas leather acan hammer blue polyps the gap grows good then acts weird and there's a tiny bta nem that's not happy in there lol so far the pods always disappear there's some tiny snails that are ok in there

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv tried Digi a bunch of different zoas leather acan hammer blue polyps the gap grows good then acts weird and there's a tiny bta nem that's not happy in there lol so far the pods always disappear there's some tiny snails that are ok in there
Tank still looks good. How are you topping it off and what are you using? How much and how often do you do water changes? The trumpet and shroom loom good as well as gsp. I have a very hardy sps. And it seems to be doing well. The beach bum looks like it maybe getting to much light. So many turn it down to the 2nd brightest if it begins to bleach. The bare spot on the sps is where a piece broke off.
20210824_213601.jpg

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back