Mini-Cycle from tank switch

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again!

So, I switched from my 15g Nano to a Reefer 250 a little over a week ago. I appear to be having a mini cycle (which I assumed was going to happen). I noticed a reddish/brown algae bloom beginning. In the time my lady left for work and I got home, there was algae on the rock and glass. I checked my numbers last night and nothing seems high at the moment. All of my fish seem healthy, no rapid breathing, or sitting at the top. They are all active and eating. I picked up some Dr Tims and threw about a third a bottle in just in case. Are there any precautions I should take, or just let it do it's thing? I didn't do a water change yet since I literally put four fish in such a large tank compared to what they were in and my numbers were still non-existent. I did transfer a pretty good large of media over from both my tank and a friends, and the foam filter from the sump in the smaller tank.

Appreciate any advice!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your ammonia at? Did you use new or more sand?

Diatoms or cyano (reddish/brown) may not be due to a cycle.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your ammonia at? Did you use new or more sand?

Diatoms or cyano (reddish/brown) may not be due to a cycle.

The Ammonia was the lowest PPM the test registered, maybe a tiny bit darker than the lowest..

I was advised to not use any of my old sand because of poop and so forth, and the risk of an Ammonia spike. So I used all new substrate.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ammonia was the lowest PPM the test registered, maybe a tiny bit darker than the lowest..

I was advised to not use any of my old sand because of poop and so forth, and the risk of an Ammonia spike. So I used all new substrate.

You could be getting diatoms from silica in your new sand. You’re fine as long as you don’t have any ammonia 0.5 and up.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this may not be the "mini cycle" yet? Should I just let it do it's own thing and the algae will clear up?

Post pics if you can. Diatoms are very frequent when using new sand - completely harmless in 99.9% of cases (sometimes can bother corals) and will clear up pretty quickly once they run
Out of food - silica.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren't registering any measurable ammonia I would just let it go through its' uglies. Did you add new rock? New, dry rock always seems to look awful for a while, even if it is "cured".

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post pics if you can. Diatoms are very frequent when using new sand - completely harmless in 99.9% of cases (sometimes can bother corals) and will clear up pretty quickly once they run
Out of food - silica.

When I get home I will post some pictures.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren't registering any measurable ammonia I would just let it go through its' uglies. Did you add new rock? New, dry rock always seems to look awful for a while, even if it is "cured".

So if it isn't a mini-cycle, I'm assuming there is still a good chance I will get one, yes? I was going to wait a month or so before I add any new fish or coral.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish are looking OK, I would not sweat this. For peace of mind, you could pop in an ammonia color wheel to make sure nothing is building up, but the Tim's plus your old rock should process it. Feed lightly for a while. Your ecosystem just has to rediscover its balance. With dead rock, this process will take a little longer so some uglies should be expected.

As long as your not looking to put some homewrecker acropora in there for 6 months or so, you should be good.

And when (not if) you upsize next to the 750, feel free to reuse the sand from your 250. Just thoroughly rinse the c**p out of it in a barrel or buckets until it rinses clear. Tap water is fine unless highly chlorinated. (It is a lot of work though to be sure.)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You will get some of the symptoms of new tank syndrome but do add carbon to system, liquid bacteria such as Bacter 7 or Dr. Tims and for preventative barrier against diatoms and dinoflagellates- 1ml per 10 gals of Hydrogen Peroxide per day

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it isn't a mini-cycle, I'm assuming there is still a good chance I will get one, yes? I was going to wait a month or so before I add any new fish or coral.

I just did this with a transfer to a Red Sea 170 from a 15 gallon Nano, using my live rock and water, but new sand, and indeed experienced a mini cycle that lasted about 7-10 days but the NH4 and N02 never spiked like the original cycle of the rock. I did water changes (10-15%) every few days for the first couple of weeks; had a little bit of algae outbreak but hermit crabs generally took care of most of it. If you are using any new rock not from old tank that will likely contribute to cycle time (I used only a few new pieces, maybe about 5 pounds, the other rock was established live rock),

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not necessarily. I moved a 75 gal across town last year, then upgraded that 75 gal to a 180 2 weeks ago. No noticeable mini-cycle either time (although tbh I only measure ammonia if I have a reason and I had no reason, everything looked fine).

My guess is that if you were going to have a cycle it would have happened in the first few days after the move. Did you use all new rock, or move the old rock and add some new? Was the new rock cycled? If you did move your old rock you probably have plenty of biofilter. If you used all new rock then yes I would be on the alert for a cycle, test ammonia frequently and keep some Prime or other ammonia neutralizer on hand, and be ready for water changes. But it doesn't sound like that is the case

In either case, waiting a month or so before you add new livestock to allow everything to settle out is definitely prudent and can't hurt. Also then if you do have issues in that first month you'll know it wasn't caused by new additions.

I am waiting a while before I add anything also, I feel your pain LOL.

ETA: The Dr. Tims was also a good precaution.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. I moved a 75 gal across town last year, then upgraded that 75 gal to a 180 2 weeks ago. No noticeable mini-cycle either time (although tbh I only measure ammonia if I have a reason and I had no reason, everything looked fine).

My guess is that if you were going to have a cycle it would have happened in the first few days after the move. Did you use all new rock, or move the old rock and add some new? Was the new rock cycled? If you did move your old rock you probably have plenty of biofilter. If you used all new rock then yes I would be on the alert for a cycle, test ammonia frequently and keep some Prime or other ammonia neutralizer on hand, and be ready for water changes. But it doesn't sound like that is the case

In either case, waiting a month or so before you add new livestock to allow everything to settle out is definitely prudent and can't hurt. Also then if you do have issues in that first month you'll know it wasn't caused by new additions.

I am waiting a while before I add anything also, I feel your pain LOL.

ETA: The Dr. Tims was also a good precaution.

I used maybe 10lbs of cured live rock from my old tank (added like 30lbs of new dry rock), and then two small bags and one large bag of bio media. As well as the sponge filter from my old tank (had the sump in the back). I do have about 40 gallons of RODI on hand in the garage, ready to go in-case anything happens. I bought two big bags of new media that I added to the sump to get some new bacteria going too.

Just sucks having such a big tank and four little fish haha.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get some of the symptoms of new tank syndrome but do add carbon to system, liquid bacteria such as Bacter 7 or Dr. Tims and for preventative barrier against diatoms and dinoflagellates- 1ml per 10 gals of Hydrogen Peroxide per day

I should add carbon? Thought thats mainly for dosing in a reef tank? Wont it neutralize the Dr.Tims effects?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He means use carbon in a reactor or media bag. It will help filter out any toxic nasties. Also is great for combating a smelly sump (my reason for running it). It won't have any effect on the Dr. Tim's.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I did add new Dry Rock.
I used maybe 10lbs of cured live rock from my old tank (added like 30lbs of new dry rock), and then two small bags and one large bag of bio media. As well as the sponge filter from my old tank (had the sump in the back). I do have about 40 gallons of RODI on hand in the garage, ready to go in-case anything happens. I bought two big bags of new media that I added to the sump to get some new bacteria going too.

so... all that new substrate, rock and media will need to cure/cycle and grow some bacteria, it's sterile now.

while that happens, it's going to cycle, just like any other new tank.

on the bright side, you did add 10 lbs of curred rock from your old tank, so the bacteria that are in that rock will most likely be able to keep the ammonia and nitrites down while the rest grows some bacteria.
it's not a mini cycle, it's a regular one, but it has help from some old cured rock :)

if things get out of hand, before the new substrate and rock finish cycling, add some prime to the tank.

J.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jurgenph is correct, the dry rock needs time to grow a new biofilter. Even more reason to wait a while (I would say at least a month, more is better) before adding new fish, then add them very slowly, like 1 at a time. Allow the good bacteria time to keep up.

I don't know if you'll see a cycle - the biofilter on the rock you moved was processing the ammonia from the fish you have already, so it should balance out or at least come close. 10 pounds isn't much though, so I would be on the lookout, just in case.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so... all that new substrate, rock and media will need to cure/cycle and grow some bacteria, it's sterile now.

while that happens, it's going to cycle, just like any other new tank.

on the bright side, you did add 10 lbs of curred rock from your old tank, so the bacteria that are in that rock will most likely be able to keep the ammonia and nitrites down while the rest grows some bacteria.
it's not a mini cycle, it's a regular one, but it has help from some old cured rock :)

if things get out of hand, before the new substrate and rock finish cycling, add some prime to the tank.

J.

So, how often should I do water changes? Should I keep to my 7-10 day schedule? Is it worth it since it's stocked so low right now and there isn't much waste? Should I allow time for the bacteria to spread and flow through the water column into the sump and etc before I do a water change?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back