Mini jellyfish?

coral papa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently noticed these little jellyfish looking thing in my tank and there's at least like 10 of them in my tank, I've also noticed an anemone that resembles aptasia but I couldn't get a clear picture

20240315_180306.jpg

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some little tiny jellyfish I found in my tank a while back.

and my thread asking about them:

ToadMilk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could be the hydroid medusae but it's difficult to tell from your picture. About how large are they? Here is a picture of a hydroid medusa I took with a microscope after a bloom in my tank.

Attachments

• 20231219_232858~3.jpg
    20231219_232858~3.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
C

coral papa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could be the hydroid medusae but it's difficult to tell from your picture. About how large are they? Here is a picture of a hydroid medusa I took with a microscope after a bloom in my tank.
Here's a better picture

Attachments

• 20240317_100259.jpg
    20240317_100259.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
C

coral papa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like those, are they harmful?

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still hard to see, but I'd say medusa stage hydroid is more likely. There are a number of creatures with at least one life cycle stage that looks like a jelly that can be in our tanks, but hydroids are the most common and that clear bell with little dots around the rim seems to be a more common one of them too.

OP
OP
C

coral papa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has longer tentacles

OP
OP
C

coral papa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still hard to see, but I'd say medusa stage hydroid is more likely. There are a number of creatures with at least one life cycle stage that looks like a jelly that can be in our tanks, but hydroids are the most common and that clear bell with little dots around the rim seems to be a more common one of them too.
Thanks, are they harmful?

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pics are sadly not good enough to identity anything.

Some pics made by me.

IMG_20210329_005428_115.jpg
IMG_20210329_005010_151.jpg

These jellyfish are hitchhikers that come either with freshly hatched artemia or get released from sessile jellyfish that are somewhere growing on live rock. In both cases they will die pretty fast inside a regular reef tank.

To figure out if they are harmful or not, you would have to find the sessile jellyfish colony in your tank, if there are any.

Last edited:

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, are they harmful?
Not generally. There are kinds of colonial hydroids which, if in a tank well fed with particulate foods, can grow rapidly and cover surfaces where other organisms would be, but most don't, and I don't know if catching and removing the medusae would be at all effective in reducing or controlling the population even if they were a harmful type.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20240317_043448 (1).jpg

This is my colony. They have a green fluorescent color and I can frag them like a regular coral. They don't multiply fast and stay in the same spot. A week ago a coral had fallen on that colony damaging it. They are quite sensitive.

I heard from other species that can turn into a pest because they spread fast and are hard to remove and are much more sturdy.

OP
OP
C

coral papa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pics are sadly not good enough to identity anything.

Some pics made by me.

IMG_20210329_005428_115.jpg
IMG_20210329_005010_151.jpg

These jellyfish are hitchhikers that come either with freshly hatched artemia or get released from sessile jellyfish that are somewhere growing on live rock. In both cases they will die pretty fast inside a regular reef tank.

To figure out if they are harmful or not, you would have to find the sessile jellyfish colony in your tank, if there are any.
Here's a somewhat better picture

Attachments

• 20240318_132014.jpg
    20240318_132014.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
C

coral papa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20240317_043448 (1).jpg

This is my colony. They have a green fluorescent color and I can frag them like a regular coral. They don't multiply fast and stay in the same spot. A week ago a coral had fallen on that colony damaging it. They are quite sensitive.

I heard from other species that can turn into a pest because they spread fast and are hard to remove and are much more sturdy.
Like this thing?

Attachments

• 20240318_140646.jpg
    20240318_140646.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 14

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this thing?
That looks more like a feather duster worm than a hydroid polyp in this case.
This pic is good enough to confirm that it's either a hydroid or jellyfish medusa, probably a hydroid.

With the longer tentacles on yours, I haven't looked into hydroids around Indonesia enough to give a proper suggestion on species to look up for your location, but for common hydroids with long tentacles here in the US, we get a lot of Cladonema species. You can look at those and get an idea of what some can look like with longer tentacles.

Last edited:

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this thing?
Thats a feather duster worm. Their tubes are made out of calcium. Jellyfish tubes are out of chitin or something similar.

I mean, yes, these look like jellyfish. Have you fed with self hatched artemia? Or do you have live rock in the tank. The sessile form could be a pest, or harmless like mine.

OP
OP
C

coral papa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a feather duster worm. Their tubes are made out of calcium. Jellyfish tubes are out of chitin or something similar.

I mean, yes, these look like jellyfish. Have you fed with self hatched artemia? Or do you have live rock in the tank. The sessile form could be a pest, or harmless like mine.
I've never fed artemia before and I only use dead rock

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back