OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update, I am very disappointed in my decision to include this fish. while the color, shape, and swim style looks beautiful and is the perfect addition to my other fish, I am not enjoying the personality of this fish. What a wimp and I am tired of catering this fish to get him food. It's time he will either fend for himself or starve. The tank is not that aggressive and there is absolutely zero angst. Disappointing that this fish replaced the most boring fish I have ever kept in 30 years, a pair of blue throat triggers. after years of hating these fish, I torn up the tank to get them out. Now I have the 2nd most boring fish I've ever kept. He's 6-7" so not a baby and really shouldn't be this wimpy, the same size as the other fish in the tank, and absolutely zero angst.

I'm just sharing because this fish isn't kept that often and most reports come from hear say. This is not an aggressive fish, it will just eat smaller fish. I know this is just one experience, but I would never put this fish in an aggressive tank.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it always hiding? Or just boring because it just hovers there? Have you kept other groupers that were better?

I took care of some kind of blue spotted grouper for a while and that thing was a fierce eater. It would move across a 6' tank in a flash and hammer food.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it always hiding? Or just boring because it just hovers there? Have you kept other groupers that were better?

I took care of some kind of blue spotted grouper for a while and that thing was a fierce eater. It would move across a 6' tank in a flash and hammer food.

No he's not hiding, very timid, scaredy cat when it comes to feeding. He simply will not join the feeding frenzy snd I have to sorta target feed him. I just don't like the personality of a scaredy cat fish. There is no angst and he should not scurry away when the other fish get excited.

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like this guy, he'll be going in my semi aggressive 210g

20201204_181439.jpg
One of my Favorite fish hands down! If I had the room for a tank that big I would definitely have a couple of them minimum in my tank. I had two about 9-10 inches long in my 240 gallon tank when I had them last. They spawned repeatedly but I never got any fry to size to trade of sell. Feeding time was awesome to watch but had to be careful to not get water splashed all over the place or have one launch across the living room! Beautiful fish with a great personality, just understand anything that will fit in their mouth is on the menu!!!

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a grouper that is more active and outgoing, try to find a Variola louti. Years ago, I had each in my predator tank. Yes, the miniatus was a sissy like yours. The louti was constantly out and about. They are also cool in that their color changes constantly. The only problem is finding one.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya mine was very timid and scared as well bro. He just wanted to be the only fish in the tank and hang out in his cave all day.
He did come out and strike my cinnamon clown and kept him at the water surface. Lol. Mine was prob 8-12"
Beautiful fish but not my favorite for sure. Lol.
Sorry about ur disappoinment. You were showin pics of him swimmin around with all the fish. I figured he had settled in and became part of the crew.
D

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya mine was very timid and scared as well bro. He just wanted to be the only fish in the tank and hang out in his cave all day.
Yeah thats kinda what Groupers do. Mine did that for a couple of months but got very accustom to coming out when I walked in the room and could be hand fed like a dog begging for some scooby snacks. It just got a little wet sometimes.If yopu have caves or over hangs in your rock work they will have a tendency to kinda chill out there a lot. They are not an out going fish like Anthias but yeah I wouldnt consider them aggresive per'se other than the fact that anything capable of fitting in their mouth is potentially on the menu!

Last edited:
OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has come along quite a bit, he is out all the time, not as itritating as earlier. Not a fish I would include in another tank or recommend, but nice to look at. Still not joining the feeding frenzy, although it really is a tame bunch. I just stopped worrying about getting him food and figured if he's hungry enough, he'll get with it.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one. You'll find some are just crazy colorful and some can be a little dull. Mine was, I swear, the best ever. It glowed pink and purple.

(Killed by Windex, that's another story.)

They are fast and easily out compete everything else at feeding time. They get big, really quickly. Make sure you don't have any smaller fish in your tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back