OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice Scape!

I had a green carpet anemone, it grew to two feet across. It often ate $50 dollar fish. One day it just decided to roam around the tank and kill everything. While I was taking it out to bring to the LFS it clamped down on half my arm and wouldn't let go.They will eat small dogs and cats. LOL

Gene

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These formations are freakin awesome! But I want to know, how do you guys hold all your rock together when it branches to the side? I drilled and pinned in my last tank for three taller pillars, with some out to the side. I am wondering how to go sideways...kinds like the sweet bonsai scaping

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Scape!

I had a green carpet anemone, it grew to two feet across. It often ate $50 dollar fish. One day it just decided to roam around the tank and kill everything. While I was taking it out to bring to the LFS it clamped down on half my arm and wouldn't let go.They will eat small dogs and cats. LOL

Gene

Thanks, the green is about 12" if flattened out against rocks. I've had up to 2 S. Gigantea and my current 2 S. Haddoni in this tank until recently bad carbon crashed my tank and I lost the two S. Gigantea. Since I've had all of these carpets I've only lost one fish. (I only have 2 fish other then clowns lol)

These formations are freakin awesome! But I want to know, how do you guys hold all your rock together when it branches to the side? I drilled and pinned in my last tank for three taller pillars, with some out to the side. I am wondering how to go sideways...kinds like the sweet bonsai scaping

I just used 2 part epoxy outside of my tank, let it cure for an hour and then added another layer and waited 30 minutes. Obviously need to support the rocks as they are curing, I just stacked up a box so that the top shelf rested on it perfectly.

628c3101-f237-472c-a653-8c565b9edcb0_zpsa9271e99.png

77d71687-b69c-439b-88e9-5ae067646435_zpsb6f43e9c.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some have used an acrylic plate under the sand with a hole drilled thru the plate and a pvc pipe welded into the hole in the plate. The plate under the sand and the pvc tube in the plate and the rock keep the rock work from tipping over.

Gene

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really liking these minimalist tanks! Giving me some ideas! :)

thesaltysnailer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Emarco-400 to hold the rocks together and bases under the sand. Best way imo.

DirtinLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Il enlighten you, there is a glue at home depot called construction polyurethane adhesive, its a pain to work with but once its set you can glue rock to the ceiling if you wanted to, but there is not much information on it regarding to reef safety. Though ive used it on systems before with no ill effects but if you decide to try it youl realize how it can hold so well. Plus i am using less than 5 lbs of rock per pillar so what your seeing is more of an illusion

I put rock together using Loctite PL polyurethane adhesive and everything cycled ... so I added a few Chromis as I was afraid the Polyurethane adhesive was going to kill everything.

I have now lost 4 of 10 fish so I wrote loctite and they said their PL product IS NOT AQUARIUM safe.

Question Snapcracklepop... what is your long term experience with using these products... are they safe or not?

DO I HAVE TO TEAR OUT MY ROCK WORK? PLEASE HELP!

Thanx

-=Fred=-

Last edited:
OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put rock together using Loctite PL polyurethane adhesive and everything cycled ... so I added a few Chromis as I was afraid the Polyurethane adhesive was going to kill everything.

I have now lost 4 of 10 fish so I wrote loctite and they said their PL product IS NOT AQUARIUM safe.

Question Snapcracklepop... what is your long term experience with using these products... are they safe or not?

DO I HAVE TO TEAR OUT MY ROCK WORK? PLEASE HELP!

Thanx

-=Fred=-

Wow sorry to here about your misfortune. IMO I would definitely listen to Loctite before you get to far into it. Salt water is corrosive and breaks down many materials.

Gene

DirtinLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several tanks and this is the first time trying anything like this. If I have to tear out everything and start over I will but I was hoping he could chime in

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 58 54.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back