Miracle mud and/or Pond Matrix in sump? Neither, either, or both?

Tobias9413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on adding pond matrix to my sump under my chaeto in my refugium in my future 125g tank. I have heard of miracle mud but have never used it nor the pond matrix. In my current 29g tank I only have a chaeto ball growing in my sump.

What are some of the benefits from using either of these products? Would using both have any extra benefits? Are they just gimmicks and should I stick to just growing macro algae?

1WildBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For s new tank, I would stay away from miracle mud. Just keep the chaeto. There’s no real benefit in a new tank from what I have read.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty different. The primary purpose of miracle mud is to gradually supply trace elements and minerals to your system. It will also provide habitat for many bacteria and critters in your fuge. Some people swear by it, others claim it doesnt do much to as far as it has crashed their tank when they changed the recommended amount after 6 months or whatever they say.

Pond matrix is simply a porous media used to provide surface area for bacteria. It is best used in systems with insufficient or non porous live rock/dry rock. Some people believe it provides an area for denitrification to occur, but its unclear whether or not that is the case, and likely depends on how you implement it (among many other factors). It will assist in providing surface area for ammonia-nitrite-nitrate converting bacteria. If you plan to heavily stock your tank it may help you.

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish in your refugium. I personally prefer a clean fuge (no sand/mud anything) and just chaeto. It makes it easy to maintain and I am only using my fuge to grow/harvest chaeto and control nutrient levels. Even though i dont have sand/mud in there, it still serves as an awesome habitat for pods which i have in spades.

I think the pond matrix is the "safer" option due to less unknowns, so if you are somewhat of a beginner and want to definitely choose, id one go with that. I recommend siporax which is sintered glass and does not leach aluminum (not sure if pond matrix does but marinepure does). I keep some in my sump and transfer as seeded biomedia to my QT tanks when i QT fish, it works great.

Good luck

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on adding pond matrix to my sump under my chaeto in my refugium in my future 125g tank. I have heard of miracle mud but have never used it nor the pond matrix. In my current 29g tank I only have a chaeto ball growing in my sump.

What are some of the benefits from using either of these products? Would using both have any extra benefits? Are they just gimmicks and should I stick to just growing macro algae?

I agree that the supposed benefits are reduced nitrate from the Pond matrix and trace elements release is the idea of the mud.

I'm not a fan of the mud and random release of trace elements (whether you need them or maybe already have plenty/too much), but some people seem to like it.

One concern with a product like pond matrix is it may drive nitrate too low. With that in mind, I'd either add it after I determined a need, or be prepared to remove it if testing shows too low of nitrate.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back