Miracle Mud raised my pH

kaigoss69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 10 lb of miracle mud to my sump recently. Before that, the system which has been up and running for 6 years, always had a low pH between 7.7 and 7.9. The day after I added the MM, the pH was 7.9 - 8.1. It has been steady like that now for 3-4 weeks. I'm surprised because I did not see any claims or reports about MM raising pH. Very happy about this.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Did you use ecosystem brand? I used 10 lbs of caribsea in my 220 recently and didn’t see this effect

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miracle Snakes GIF

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the pH did rise directly as a direct result of the mud, it means something substantial dissolved, which isn't necessarily desirable.

A remote possibility is if your tank was iron deficient, iron may have promoted growth and photosynthesis by algae and corals, boosting pH.

Coincidence is also a good possibility as I've not seen this reported before.

OP
OP
K

kaigoss69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the pH did rise directly as a direct result of the mud, it means something substantial dissolved, which isn't necessarily desirable.

A remote possibility is if your tank was iron deficient, iron may have promoted growth and photosynthesis by algae and corals, boosting pH.

Coincidence is also a good possibility as I've not seen this reported before.
Thanks for the comment Randy. I've done 2 ICP tests in the last three years and both came back with iron spot on. I don't have any reason to believe that iron levels have deteriorated unexpectedly, but I guess I can't be sure about that.

Coincidentally, since adding the MM my Caulerpa Profilera has deteriorated, to the point where pretty much only the stems were left. I pulled the rest of it out and replaced with chaeto last night. I tested phosphates and levels are "normal" i.e. did not change since last time I checked. I have not tested for Nitrates or Ammonia, but corals seem to be happy so I'm not stressing about it.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just an update, pH is stable at 7.9 - 8.2. No negative side effects, and corals are doing well. Cheato is doing its job in place of the Caulerpa. Still battling some algae due to phosphates but they are slowly coming down (0.25 to 0.19 in a week). So far so good.

What brand did you use? This one?
Any update to your reef? Thanks

1660951331693.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back