Miracles 290 gallon tank chronicle

CLR2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was delivered January 6th. It is on the stand. Had to get a manual lift to move the tank across the basement.
01800C0F-6437-478C-A91D-F3888D520E4E.jpeg
Will start plumbing it over the next few weeks. Handyman will complete the front wall and above tank door in about a week.
11713072-F047-411D-A453-92CCC2A2247B.jpeg
Looking good. Miracles did an amazing job on the tank.

CLR2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered two swallowtail angels from NYAquatics. One didn’t make it one night, the other died a few days later. Glad they had their own 40g qt. Requested refunds but haven’t received it yet. I want to try a trio of them after that qt is bleached, cycled and setup again.
Hopefully he does the right thing and give you a refund. I had a band experience with him also. A trio would look great in that tank.

OP
OP
RJT

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to level the tank. The stand is level and the tank is level but the 3/4" plywood under the tank isn't. The 1/4" rubber mat wasn't enough to level it. Didn't think to check the plywood for levelness. Will use plastic shims. Have to wait until tank is level to do the plumbing. Maybe later this week.

OP
OP
RJT

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while.

Bad news first: I went overboard with buying fish. I QT all of them except (big mistake) ones from one online vendor known for healthy fish. I had a mandarin, dragonet, doctor tang, 2 leopard wrasses, 2 achilles tangs, 2 red velvet wrasses, 2 flame angels, 2 swallowtail angels, moorish idol, queen angel, 2 black caps, 2 Swiss guards and 5 purple queen anthias. I lost an idol that was QT so I decided to get another idol from the online vendor that I got the achilles, anthias and swallowtails from, since they were all healthy when I got them. The idol lasted less than a day but his illness reverberated through my tank. I lost all of the fish except the rabbits, 2 yellowtails, leopard wrasse and red velvet wrasse. Tank had a huge hair algae outburst right afterwards.

Good news: tank is stable now, remaining fish seem good and fish room is looking a lot better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RJT

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of the fish room. Will post pic of display tank later

Attachments

• IMG_0564.jpeg
    IMG_0564.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0561.jpeg
    IMG_0561.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
RJT

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Turf algae took over fixed it with lights out and chemiclean. Then got an extremely bad cyano breakout-looked like the tank was inundated with slimy torch corals all over. Couldn't see rock or sand. Started doing a lot of water changes, which probably made it worse. Bought a SpyGlass from Avast put in purigen and carbon. Then bought 70 limpets from Reefcleaners. Cyano is gone. I didn't want to do lights out because I bought a magnifica and rbta from PacificEast aquaculture, which were and still are doing great.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while.

Bad news first: I went overboard with buying fish. I QT all of them except (big mistake) ones from one online vendor known for healthy fish. I had a mandarin, dragonet, doctor tang, 2 leopard wrasses, 2 achilles tangs, 2 red velvet wrasses, 2 flame angels, 2 swallowtail angels, moorish idol, queen angel, 2 black caps, 2 Swiss guards and 5 purple queen anthias. I lost an idol that was QT so I decided to get another idol from the online vendor that I got the achilles, anthias and swallowtails from, since they were all healthy when I got them. The idol lasted less than a day but his illness reverberated through my tank. I lost all of the fish except the rabbits, 2 yellowtails, leopard wrasse and red velvet wrasse. Tank had a huge hair algae outburst right afterwards.

Good news: tank is stable now, remaining fish seem good and fish room is looking a lot better.
so sorry to hear...stories like this scare me , we havent bought any new fish since Jan...just to be safe....

OP
OP
RJT

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be stressful when adding anything to the tank. Sensitive fish I have rolled the dice on and had regrets some of the time. Moorish idols, radiant wrasses and achilles are the ones I haven't quarantined. But I have had regrets when qt as well. Leopard wrasses and mandarins do great in qt for months but I lose most of them in the main tank. I feed the same food but some still won't eat.

Now that I have 2 purple tangs and 2 Red Sea desardjini tangs I don't want to add any additional tangs. Especially sensitive achilles.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back