Mirror Trick? How Long?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how vane the Tang is?
I have not used the mirror, my wife would kill me if I touched it.

Somebody else knows!
Bump

cww81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a mirror for a desjardini sailfin tang when I added my fox face and for a whole week and the tang was relentless in attacking his reflection. For my fish it ended up never working and he had to be returned. I know people who have had it work in a few days, or in my case, a little over a week and it still didn’t work. Good luck!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used a mirror as I have a very layed back species of tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus) that has none of that aggressive behaviour tangs are known for.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used a mirror as I have a very layed back species of tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus) that has none of that aggressive behaviour tangs are known for.
I forgot to add about how I have read about it being a 2-3 day time period before aggression is minimal.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've done it twice. It's been several years since.
I believe it started working in just a few minutes and I think I left it up for 4-5 days.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a leopard wrasse that chases another leopard. I have left my mirror up for a few hours at a time, nearly every day for a couple weeks. I won't leave it up much longer then a couple hours as all my fish get very agitated, and jumpy.

Does the trick as all my fish want to fight their reflection. My blue eyed kole turns a vibrant orange with black stripes, instead of the dark purple they normally are. It's certainly a color I would probably would have never seen otherwise.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Currently have a leopard wrasse that chases another leopard. I have left my mirror up for a few hours at a time, nearly every day for a couple weeks. I won't leave it up much longer then a couple hours as all my fish get very agitated, and jumpy.

Does the trick as all my fish want to fight their reflection. My blue eyed kole turns a vibrant orange with black stripes, instead of the dark purple they normally are. It's certainly a color I would probably would have never seen otherwise.
I don't think it works with wrasses like it does with tangs.
With wrasses it's probably a male vs. male thing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Overnight for me

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More like a different species type thing. Sorry didn't explain in my original post. And for just chasing, not any actual aggression.

One is a melagris leopard, the other a moyers leopard. By all means they should get along, my PITA melagris just like to chase the moyers. I only did it for a while to let the moyers get used to the tank. One the moyers got used to the tank, the chasing subsided.

dwfain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious on how long you guys think this practice should take place for… i have a yellow tang who’s a bully but things have seemed to ease alot now that the mirror is in place
My Powder Brown was bullying my Yellow. I put the mirror up and it took about 3 weeks. Interesting part was both the Yellow and the Powder went after the mirror and forgot about each other. Gave them a common enemy I guess.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
More like a different species type thing. Sorry didn't explain in my original post. And for just chasing, not any actual aggression.

One is a melagris leopard, the other a moyers leopard. By all means they should get along, my PITA melagris just like to chase the moyers. I only did it for a while to let the moyers get used to the tank. One the moyers got used to the tank, the chasing subsided.
I had a male potters wrasse and a large female ( actually 3 ) meleagris that just never got along. The meleagris was starting to go male and it seemed everybody was fair game. They can get cranky.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back