Mirror trick

Jon F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10g nano. Cycled and stocked with a CUC in Feb.

I got my first fish in March, a Talbot Damsel, beautiful fish and research beforehand said it was one of the least aggressive damsels. RUBBISH. Next addition was a goby/pistol pair.

Once acclimated, the pair found a spot to build a lair. The Talbot first took a dislike to the shrimp...

Talbot vs pistol shrimp = shrimp wins, 6 or 7 snaps and damsel retreats (they are fine BTW)

After that the damsel decided to hassle the goby. This got serious.

Goby wasn't eating, damaged dorsal, breathing badly.

I stuck a mirror on one side of the tank, sorted in a couple of ways. First day, the damsel was arguing with itself, not the goby. Good. Second day, the goby discovered the mirror. He has a friend. Damsel sees 2 gobies, does not mess

Left the mirror there for another day and then removed it. No more aggression from the damsel.

Down side, the goby/shrimp pairing seems to have gone. The goby has made its own tunnel and the shrimp has another. Will that sort itself out? They were a pair for day 1 and 2.

OP
OP
Jon F

Jon F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20210410_141926.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the size of the tank, I'm sure they'll find each other again shortly.

OP
OP
Jon F

Jon F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the size of the tank, I'm sure they'll find each other again shortly.
Seem to be tolerating each other at the moment. Goby stays near its burrow, damsel swims around and ignores it. Hopefully it stays this way, I'll catch and return the damsel if not. Shrimp/goby pair were my no. 1 on stock list

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Cell said. As far as the damsel, whatever the reputation for a species there will always be individuals that behave differently. Size of tanks will be a factor as well as the sequence added and other tank mates. WHenever an animal is added an aquarist should be ready to rehome it or it's tankmate(s) depending on how well it acclimates and adjusts.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a mirror is certainly a useful tool to help mitigate initial aggression. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes aggression would have subsided anyhow.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back