Mirrorless setup for macro shots?

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start off I only know a beginners level of xp on real cameras so pardon the noobness.

I am looking to be able to take macro shot of the new aquarium.

In the 5mp era I had a Canon Powershot. One of the mega zoom cameras. Actually got decent at stroking what I could out of that camera. However as time progressed I eventually sold that camera and went back to smart phones.

The big draw back to me for the mega zoom and what I would assume would only be worse with a DSLR was the size and weight.

Not that I cared when I was taking tank shots but good cameras are not cheap and when I was out in the world I just never took the Canon with me. A camera in the closet never takes good pictures.

Technology progressed and a new contender arrived. I have been looking at mirrorless cameras (specifically Sony). I am liking the smaller size of the 6000 series. Throw a short lense on it and it borders on pocketable.

Trying to get the best of both worlds. Not having to drag around a boat anchor for everyday point and shoot. Then still being able to swap lenses and take a decent close up.

Is this possible? Are there drawbacka I am unaware of?

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what level of macro shots you're wanting. It still comes down to the lens you put on the camera. You can go the manual focus and adapter route and save a ton of money, but with the Sony system you're looking at doubling your investment if you go with the fantastic Sony 90mm f2.8 macro. Also keep in mind that shooting through glass always degrades your shots, and shooting at an angle through glass will really really effect your shot quality. You can go the route of a portal to shoot down through into the tank, but that also is going to increase your investment.

The main thing will be really learning whatever camera you buy. That is the main thing. Putting any camera on Program mode is quickest way to get mediocrity out of the camera. Simply switching to Aperture or Shutter Priority makes a big difference control wise.

Currently I use a Sony A7r IV and the Sony 90mm f2.8 for all the shots at http://rccorals.com

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know mirror less or Sony except their bridge cameras, one of the best cameras I ever owned, I have a Nikon 5600 and a tamron 90 macro, learn your camera in manual, it will take longer but you will be all the better for it.

DSC_0016 (1024x756).jpg

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sony A7iii and I love it. I have a 35mm Zeiss lense and it takes great pictures but they still need to be tweaked in lightroom to come out good. I want to invest in a macro lense as the 35mm has trouble focusing up close but dont really want to drop another grand...

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what level of macro shots you're wanting. It still comes down to the lens you put on the camera. You can go the manual focus and adapter route and save a ton of money, but with the Sony system you're looking at doubling your investment if you go with the fantastic Sony 90mm f2.8 macro. Also keep in mind that shooting through glass always degrades your shots, and shooting at an angle through glass will really really effect your shot quality. You can go the route of a portal to shoot down through into the tank, but that also is going to increase your investment.

The main thing will be really learning whatever camera you buy. That is the main thing. Putting any camera on Program mode is quickest way to get mediocrity out of the camera. Simply switching to Aperture or Shutter Priority makes a big difference control wise.

Currently I use a Sony A7r IV and the Sony 90mm f2.8 for all the shots at http://rccorals.com
what settings are you using on the camera and are you also using an orange filter?

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what settings are you using on the camera and are you also using an orange filter?

Usually Manual mode, ISO around 2000, Custom White Balance slammed all the way to offset the blues, then each photo tweaked in Capture One. My goal is to as closely reflect how the corals look in our frag tanks as possible. I'm not interested in the hyper saturated Instagram shots so many paste up.

I'll often also use another light or two as fill light. Sometimes a Kessill 160a, and sometimes a chinese black box. Other times I might even use flash and a softbox above the tank.
Very rarely will i use a color filter. There's only a few zoas that I've found I cannot accurately capture the color of... then I'll usually use a Brown filter rather than the typical yellow or orange everyone recommends.

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually Manual mode, ISO around 2000, Custom White Balance slammed all the way to offset the blues, then each photo tweaked in Capture One. My goal is to as closely reflect how the corals look in our frag tanks as possible. I'm not interested in the hyper saturated Instagram shots so many paste up.

I'll often also use another light or two as fill light. Sometimes a Kessill 160a, and sometimes a chinese black box. Other times I might even use flash and a softbox above the tank.
Very rarely will i use a color filter. There's only a few zoas that I've found I cannot accurately capture the color of... then I'll usually use a Brown filter rather than the typical yellow or orange everyone recommends.
Seriously!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!! I appreciate you not over saturating and posting honest pictures. Makes me want to purchase from you.. Thanks again for the information.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back