Missed old retired tanks

Reefjnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We always talk about what tank we would want or how things have gotten more advanced but does anyone miss their simpler and older tank? My first tank was a 40g breeder I built a stand for and made a sump out of a 20g long i put dividers in. The lights were current usa led lights and that tank was awesome. I went to a 57g rimless and now a 32g biocube but the 40 breeder will always have a special place in my heart. Let see those tanks we miss.

t1-1.18169-9.jpeg

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I had a 42 g bow front, no skimmer, no sump, that would grow just about everything I threw in with minimal maintenance. I always hated the look of the bow front (the aquarium itself) so I "upgraded" to a 90g. It was never the same and I've never had a tank since that thrived as it did.

OP
OP
Reefjnky

Reefjnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I had a 42 g bow front, no skimmer, no sump, that would grow just about everything I threw in with minimal maintenance. I always hated the look of the bow front (the aquarium itself) so I "upgraded" to a 90g. It was never the same and I've never had a tank since that thrived as it did.
Same here. That first tank would grow anything and no other tank came close

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My retired tank from 20 years ago isn't too much different that my current, except more DIY initially.

Old was 38 gallon with a 20 long sump with caulerpa, DSB and skimmer. Gravity ATO/kalk doser. MH and PC's which got me to 4 watts per gallon. HOB overflow, heaters and powerheads, 50/50 live and dry rock and shallow sand bed. The tank was doing extremely well before I moved and upgraded at 2 years. Softy/LPS with a little porites rescue frag for SPS.

Current tank is a 29 gallon with 20 high sump, chaeto and skimmer, carbon reactor (tried GFO for a bit). Pumped ATO and kalk dosed via peristalic pump. LED and T5 lighting. Drilled overflow. Heaters and circulating pumps, controller on the heater. 50/50 live and dry rock, shallow sand bed. Mixed reef but dominant softy/LPS.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. That first tank would grow anything and no other tank came close

My first tank was the same (also a 40br). I attribute it to the real Fiji rock we could get back then. Subsequent tanks were started with dry rock and they never flourished quite the same. I'm using real rock (gulf and kp) for my new tank and I'm hoping it's similar to the Fiji experience.

shartpants007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to miss my 75 gallon planted freshwater community tank. I still have it, but a lot of my favorite fish have died, and most of the plants were gradually replaced by Java Fern. As I’m getting into reefing, I sometimes wish I had just stuck with that tank. It might not have been as colorful, but it was a lot cheaper and simpler than saltwater, and the largish size gave me much more freedom than my 20 gal nano does. E9E1EE1B-86D3-4EFA-AA5A-1275C141BDB2.png
My 75 gal at some point during its heyday

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 97 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back