Missing Diamond Goby

Summit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We recently added a diamond goby to the tank. We saw him shortly after putting him in on Sunday and haven’t seen him since. At what point should we begin to worry and move our rockscape to try and find him? We have checked all around the tank in case he jumped out, checked the overflow and sump and he’s nowhere to be found. So far our parameters have remained stable so I’m hopeful he’s not dead under one of the rocks.

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We recently added a diamond goby to the tank. We saw him shortly after putting him in on Sunday and haven’t seen him since. At what point should we begin to worry and move our rockscape to try and find him? We have checked all around the tank in case he jumped out, checked the overflow and sump and he’s nowhere to be found. So far our parameters have remained stable so I’m hopeful he’s not dead under one of the rocks.
I've had quite a few Diamond Gobies over the last 10 years. At first they can be very shy and the first thing they will do is dig themselves a burrow under one of the rocks. Once they have their safe space then they will slowly venture out more and more, sifting the sand looking for food. Just give it some time and keep and eye out, especially at feeding time. Mine have always loved Mysis shrimp. With my current one I have him on Reef Frenzy. They are definitely jumpers. Especially at night. I have found mine in the overflow, sump, and unfortunately floor. Most of this jumping behaviour seems to be in the first week while its getting settled. Good luck and post of pic of the little guy once you find him!

rocklobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found mine in the dust tray of my roomba. I wasn’t given the heads up that they enjoy hopping out of tanks.

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had quite a few Diamond Gobies over the last 10 years. At first they can be very shy and the first thing they will do is dig themselves a burrow under one of the rocks. Once they have their safe space then they will slowly venture out more and more, sifting the sand looking for food. Just give it some time and keep and eye out, especially at feeding time. Mine have always loved Mysis shrimp. With my current one I have him on Reef Frenzy. They are definitely jumpers. Especially at night. I have found mine in the overflow, sump, and unfortunately floor. Most of this jumping behaviour seems to be in the first week while its getting settled. Good luck and post of pic of the little guy once you find him!
+1 this.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back