Missing firefish found in bad shape.

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a week ago my firefish went missing out of no where. He was acting perfectly fine with no issues then he was gone. I got back from vacation and I saw him laying outside of his cave with missing fins. He is semi swimming and eating food now. I pulled him from the tank and my qt tank is gone so I had to improvise with a vase and emergency air stone. Does this look like harassment or fin rot maybe? Any suggestions would be great. All tank parameters are stable fish are 2 clowns, flame angel and a midas blenny with snails and 1 hermit crab. I've only seen the midas blenny chase him once for a second but that was 3 months ago. I am beyond upset I need help to save ponyo!
20190116_014559.jpeg
20190116_014503.jpeg

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things can change. If you are really interested to see how everybody gets along with eachother for the time you arent around, you should put a nestcam or other type of webcam on the tank.

I learned a lot once I started watching the footage.

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things can change. If you are really interested to see how everybody gets along with eachother for the time you arent around, you should put a nestcam or other type of webcam on the tank.

I learned a lot once I started watching the footage.
That's true I'm not always around. Well I guess I hope he survives qt to get him back in the tank

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the firefish for?
One year he came 2 weeks after the clowns, the flame angel 1 Mont after that and the miss blenny is the newest, about 4 months now. He has nipped at him one time but I have never seen fin tear or anything he just disappeared and reappeared a week later like this

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a firefish from my LFS which was also bullied quite heavily (at the store). It's dorsal fin was pretty much gone but otherwise not too bad - it grew back gradually over a few months.

You need to be careful with removing the firefish and then reintroducing. It's normally a good idea to put them in the tank as one of the first fish, so they can establish territory without stepping on anyone's toes (or fins).

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a firefish from my LFS which was also bullied quite heavily (at the store). It's dorsal fin was pretty much gone but otherwise not too bad - it grew back gradually over a few months.

You need to be careful with removing the firefish and then reintroducing. It's normally a good idea to put them in the tank as one of the first fish, so they can establish territory without stepping on anyone's toes (or fins).
Yes he was nearly first besides the paired clowns. It's a 75 gallon tank

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back