Missing Firefish :(

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like the title says my fire fish is missing since yesterday. I have a redsea max e 260 AIO with a lid. He was out swimming and eating as usual untill yesterday morning he didnt come out to eat and was not in his little home in the rocks. So first things I checked around the tank even though the lid has not been off and he is not there. I check the back sump even though he couldn't make it there either unless he shrank and swam through the overflow grate. He had no signs of disease or unusual activity, he just disapeared. No new additions to the tank, i have two bullet hole clowns, flame angel, midas blenny, snails, one hermit. The midas blenny is the newest but but has been in tank for 4 months now and shows no aggression towards any other fish. Are fire fishes known to move holes and hide for a while? If he died im sure the CUC got him before morning :(. He just a fish but man he was my favorite and it sucks. Any friendly advice or ideas would be greatful!

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There notoriously known for hiding and just appearing out of no where. I’m sure it will show up !

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came back from vacation and my fire fish is found but in bad shape. He is missing his fins but semi swimmi g around I found him at the front of his cave. Is this harrassment or fin rot ? Or maybe something g else I'm not sure how to save him

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came back from vacation and my fire fish is found but in bad shape. He is missing his fins but semi swimmi g around I found him at the front of his cave. Is this harrassment or fin rot ? Or maybe something g else I'm not sure how to save him
20190116_014117.jpeg

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So and update my fish has been in a cooler with an air stone for the past couple of days. He's eating food if placed in front of his mouth and swims around but has trouble staying up right and lays back on side at the bottom of the tank. Breathing is unlabored and he dosent appear to be I. Acute distress. However his fins took a huge beating. I was curious because I no longer have a qt system if I could place him in a breeder net with in the rocks of my main tank. The midas blenny is gone which may have been the culprit of the problem. Also do you think the fins will grow back? If not I dont want him to have a poor quality of life.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back