OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m enjoying the build, Dug. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out that some water ran down into the frame rather than a leaky seam. Unless you’re hoping for a good excuse to buy a new tank, in which case, I hope it’s the seam lol!
Thanks Dude. It just seems crazy that a leak could be small enough to not form a drip. It would be sweet to just buy a brand new tank, guess we'll just have to see what happens. I'm too invested to quit now lol.

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it's a leak. Not getting worse, so in just gonna keep an eye on it and see what Black Fridsy brings.

In the meantime......WE HAVE LIGHTS!!

20181020_202209.jpg

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my first official water change. Since I'm still purging the new dry rock of phosphates, I did 30 gallon swap with fresh RODI. Phosphate test pre change was around 1ppm, fresh RO water was between .25 and .5, so time to change the DI media.

Phosguard ordered last week should be here tomorrow. Once all the PO4 is gone, I will add salt and begin cycling.

Water change wasn't too bad. First time, so I was down in the basement filling 5 gallon buckets to get a measurement on the tank at -20 gallons, which will be my regular water change level. Also cleaned out the rock cycling tub, and rinsed the rock with fresh RO. Not a lot of dead stuff to speak of, yesterday's ammonia test before WC was around 1ppm. Will test later today and see how its going .

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to speak of this week. Been fighting the Herbies, they either drain too fast and I hear water falling over the weir, or too slow and the i hear water dripping into the sump. Solved the problem by raising the emergency drains about 1/4" above the top of the weir teeth. There is now about 3/4" of play between the two extremes, and I've been able to find that comfort spot to run dead silent.

Did another 20 gal water change today, WC system works well. No drips or wet messes this time around. Added some Phosguard last week, PO4 after WC is now down in the .25-.5 range. It did occur to me that I'm using a saltwater API test kit, while my tank is filled with fresh water. Ordered a Salifert kit today, because I'm not sure the API is very accurate. Its given me positive PO4 readings in 0ppm rodi water, so idk.

Frame crack and slow leak remain unchained, picture attached of leakage build up (I've refrained from wiping this week to see what happens). Still appear to be leaking a few drops a day, still not enough to make a wet spot anywhere. Considering drying the spot out with a hair dryer, then epoxying the crack shut to see what happens. Still planning on a new tank in the very near future.

Given that I appear to have my PO4 under control, and live rock is cycling well in the basement (ammonia was under .5 Thursday, 50% WC today), I'm leaning towards adding salt later this week to begin cycling. Once the Salifert test kit shows up, and I can verify low phosphate levels, I will probably dump some salt in and let the cycle begin.

15406680016237435299236188190392.jpg

15406681030695119810931434947589.jpg

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bored and in limbo until this tank situation is resolved. Gonna try to drying the crack out and epoxy the crack shut. Perhaps that will seal the leak up from the outside, but I'm not super optimistic. In the meantime, got the area cleaned up of reef construction supplies and got the poker table cleaned back up.
20181028_181121.jpg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a scared little boy when it comes to something like that.
[emoji53]
Can you continue to cure the live rock in a big Brute and get rid of the tank?

No experience with a frame crack but it sounds like a potential instant failure if it goes badly?

I know, no guts, no glory, but...

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a scared little boy when it comes to something like that.
[emoji53]
Can you continue to cure the live rock in a big Brute and get rid of the tank?

No experience with a frame crack but it sounds like a potential instant failure if it goes badly?

I know, no guts, no glory, but...
Still shopping, may have found one but will be a couple weeks at least. In the meantime, I epoxied the frame crack up. Slowed the leak down, but not much.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very difficult to stop water from the outside of the leak.
[emoji53]

Hopefully someone else will have a better suggestion.

Looks like it will eventually be a beautiful set up with a new tank.

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Located and purchased a new Aqueon 125, got a pretty good deal on it, including drilled holes for $15/ea. Also purchased a 24" Exotic Marine overflow. As soon as the overflow (template) shows up, I'm headed down to pick it up.

Posted the old tank for sale, fair condition. Think I got a guy interested, fully aware of the issues with it of course. Will help offset some of my loss buying a used tank to begin with. The rest I will chalk up to cost of experience. I'm always better the second time, anyway lol.

Plan now is to dismantle the old tank. Will place the dead rock down in a tub with the mostly cycled live rock, and sand in a big rubbermaid. I'm not happy with the stand, so that will go upstairs to be my fish and coral QT stand. Will build a better one for the DT, something without a center brace and perfectly true.

Last pic of the old set up for posterity....

20181102_171634.jpg

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have done something right....

Broke it down in less time than it took to drain!

20181102_182603.jpg

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my first official water change. Since I'm still purging the new dry rock of phosphates, I did 30 gallon swap with fresh RODI. Phosphate test pre change was around 1ppm, fresh RO water was between .25 and .5, so time to change the DI media.

Phosguard ordered last week should be here tomorrow. Once all the PO4 is gone, I will add salt and begin cycling.

Water change wasn't too bad. First time, so I was down in the basement filling 5 gallon buckets to get a measurement on the tank at -20 gallons, which will be my regular water change level. Also cleaned out the rock cycling tub, and rinsed the rock with fresh RO. Not a lot of dead stuff to speak of, yesterday's ammonia test before WC was around 1ppm. Will test later today and see how its going .
May have misunderstood but are you changing your DI because your RO is reading 0.25-0.5?

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May have misunderstood but are you changing your DI because your RO is reading 0.25-0.5?
Was a one time reading, I'm thinking I forgot to clean out all my tubs before using them. Plus, I was using an API test that I couldn't really tell the color of. I've got one of them fancy PPM meters now, all rodi is at 0.

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finding red solo cops work great for aquarium use! 90% of sand gone, calling it quits for the night.
412165826e886d8007e9dc098b9fa3ee.jpg

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting for my overflow to ship. In the meantime, I got the tank dimensions from LFS and began building my new stand. Raised it up about 6" for better viewing, and eliminated the center leg for easier sump access. Framing mostly done, hopefully have time to get some skin on in the near future. Was planning black paint, am now thinking black semi transparent stain. Got a real good deal on some birch plywood and poplar trim boards :)

20181107_193722.jpg

20181107_193735.jpg

20181107_193826.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!

Brand new Aqueon 125 gallon tank, drilled for a 24" Exotic Marine overflow. Diy fuge plumbed in as well. Leak test passed last night, currently brewing up enough RO to fill her up.

Stand is skinned, awaiting stain and doors. Rock is fully cycled, and will go in as soon as tank is filled with salt.

15425744912887071650573588661730.jpg

20181118_133118.jpg

20181118_133127.jpg

20181118_133136.jpg

Back