Missing yellow coris wrasse

Rizzle30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my yellow coris wrasse in May and he had been doing great. Typical yellow coris burying in the sand for bed and when spooked but always came out a few times a day. I did notice that my flame hawkfish and coral beauty had been bullying him a bit but mainly just chased him. Never witnessed any fin nipping.

Its now been one week since I've seen him at all. Starting to wonder if he died under the sand. He didn't carpet surf because I have a fully enclosed lid.

Has anyone else's yellow coris wrasse went mia for awhile and reappeared later?

Just wondering how long to wait before pulling the trigger on buying another yellow coris wrasse to replace him.

Thanks for the feedback!

Screenshot_20210711-222818_Gallery.jpg

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my yellow coris wrasse in May and he had been doing great. Typical yellow coris burying in the sand for bed and when spooked but always came out a few times a day. I did notice that my flame hawkfish and coral beauty had been bullying him a bit but mainly just chased him. Never witnessed any fin nipping.

Its now been one week since I've seen him at all. Starting to wonder if he died under the sand. He didn't carpet surf because I have a fully enclosed lid.

Has anyone else's yellow coris wrasse went mia for awhile and reappeared later?

Just wondering how long to wait before pulling the trigger on buying another yellow coris wrasse to replace him.

Thanks for the feedback!

Screenshot_20210711-222818_Gallery.jpg
When I first got my yellow corris about 5 months ago the day I put him in tank he disappear for almost a full week. Then 7 days later he come out to eat and every day since he is out swimming around all day. I would assume something is wrong with him but idk

OP
OP
Rizzle30

Rizzle30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably wait another few weeks then go get another one from my lfs. Worst case scenario I end up having yellow coris twins cruising around my tank

Oceanbear1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a coris wrasse that disappeared for MONTHS. Like at least 3 months, but maybe more, I wasn’t keeping track. Then one day it just reappeared. Been several more months now and is still doing well, out every day. Strangest thing.

OP
OP
Rizzle30

Rizzle30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there's still hope! It's been about a month and a half now with zero signs of him still being around. I'll probably give it until the end of the month and replace him. Love that fish!

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing yours is missing mine nips at 5 very expensive corals they’re no pests on them he’s well fed I legitimately hate this fish I’m gonna crush him with a rock when he goes to sleep in the sand

OP
OP
Rizzle30

Rizzle30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I'm sorry for your troubles with your yellow coris wrasse. They are supposed to be reef safe. Odd I've never heard of one with that kind of behavior.

Gvirgoan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines went missing too I can’t find what part of the sand he buried himself in

OP
OP
Rizzle30

Rizzle30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope yours shows up soon! Mines has been MIA since July 1st. I don't think at this point that he's still alive. Best luck!

Linflas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one I purchased 3 weeks back from LFS and when I introduced him I had the lights out. He swam around a few secs and then shot like an arrow into the sand. For the next couple weeks I would see him out in the morning when the light was on but he was MIA when I would get home after work. Then I went a few days where I didn't see him at all but reading threads on here that didn't seem that unusual. Last Tuesday I received my Biota Yellow Tang and introduced it to the tank. Still no coris sightings until I found him dead on Saturday. No visible injuries or signs of anything wrong. Prior to his disappearing for 5 days he showed no signs of illness and no issues I observed with other tank mates.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back