Mission Impossible: Reefer 250, 3 reactors, refugium, skimmer, lights, action! Pic heavy.

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Added enough Tropic Eden sand to cover the crate (will add two more bags after cycling is done (need to vacuum all the gunk from these rocks first). And, finally, just finished aquascaping. As soon as I get my ATO reservoir, will start to cycle. Probably end of the week. Btw, thumbs up for Tunze coral gum, love it. Easy to work, rock hard in 20 secs. Working small quantities is best.

CE06A79F-7C81-45B4-9F78-CCEDBAF1DDC5.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Added enough Tropic Eden sand to cover the crate (will add two more bags after cycling is done (need to vacuum all the gunk from these rocks first). And, finally, just finished aquascaping. As soon as I get my ATO reservoir, will start to cycle. Probably end of the week. Btw, thumbs up for Tunze coral gum, love it. Easy to work, rock hard in 20 secs. Working small quantities is best.

CE06A79F-7C81-45B4-9F78-CCEDBAF1DDC5.jpeg

The aquascape came out great! Very interesting. My only concern would be the height, but maybe that is just me.

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquascape came out great! Very interesting. My only concern would be the height, but maybe that is just me.

Concern regarding stability or other issues? Stability-wise, there is no wiggle, its also sitting on an egg crate, so gobys etc wont be an issue. It seems solid. I went for height to create 3-4 distinct layers for corals placement. Highlighted these ledges on the pic attached. Appreciate any additional feedback, as I have yet to fill it with water, so can make any critical changes, if needed.

2F2B8F32-0A50-4532-8AB2-32296926580E.jpeg

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you in for the entire build equipment wise? not rock or filter media.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concern regarding stability or other issues? Stability-wise, there is no wiggle, its also sitting on an egg crate, so gobys etc wont be an issue. It seems solid. I went for height to create 3-4 distinct layers for corals placement. Highlighted these ledges on the pic attached. Appreciate any additional feedback, as I have yet to fill it with water, so can make any critical changes, if needed.

2F2B8F32-0A50-4532-8AB2-32296926580E.jpeg

Sorry, I meant room for growth, but not nitpicking, I really like it.

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you in for the entire build equipment wise? not rock or filter media.

Hoping my wife doesnt see this ...

Good question, this is the first time I have slowed down to ballpark the spend so far. Equipment wise, eKoral plus 3 eK Powers, 2x MP40s, Reefer 250+2 AI Hyras, Octo Varios 6, Nyos 120, 3 Biotek reactors, Kessil H80. So far, probably around $5,500, not counting misc stuff like RODI system, plumbing, cabinet, manifold, supplies, mounts etc. I have 3 key items left: eKoral doser, custom ATO refugium and custom dosing containers, so will probably hit $6,500.

Last edited:

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build, looks clean!

.....just wanted to point out something....are those special fittings you have connected from your manifold to the Red Sea unions? I am sure you are aware that these will leak without plumbers tape or some sort of thread sealant due to the different thread size. I only see an o-ring in your setup...have you leak tested this?

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Builds like this make me realize just how big of a rush I was in to get my tanks running...

Phenomenal so far man... Inspiring... Love how built up the filtration/housing under the overflows into the sump. Awesome use of the ATO - to - fuge as well.

So much to learn from in this one thread... Keep it up and keep the updates coming!

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build, looks clean!

.....just wanted to point out something....are those special fittings you have connected from your manifold to the Red Sea unions? I am sure you are aware that these will leak without plumbers tape or some sort of thread sealant due to the different thread size. I only see an o-ring in your setup...have you leak tested this?

Thanks, glad you mentioned. I used a special pink thread tape given European vs US thread size. This stuff is thicker and better than white tape, but need to be careful and not put too much, otherwise the Red Sea black housing may crack. Here is a pic in case if anyone is interested. Got this from Amazon.

Not leak tested yet, have not filled with water. Fingers crossed. Worst case, will remove and reseal.

89035242-8614-4778-8161-9781ACC80943.jpeg

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, glad you mentioned. I used a special pink thread tape given European vs US thread size. This stuff is thicker and better than white tape, but need to be careful and not put too much, otherwise the Red Sea black housing may crack. Here is a pic in case if anyone is interested. Got this from Amazon.

Not leak tested yet, have not filled with water. Fingers crossed. Worst case, will remove and reseal.

89035242-8614-4778-8161-9781ACC80943.jpeg
excellent- good to hear....I did not notice it in your previous pictures. I ended up using the white tape as per Broadfields recommendations. No leaks thank goodness.

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Builds like this make me realize just how big of a rush I was in to get my tanks running...

Phenomenal so far man... Inspiring... Love how built up the filtration/housing under the overflows into the sump. Awesome use of the ATO - to - fuge as well.

So much to learn from in this one thread... Keep it up and keep the updates coming!

Thanks, don’t get me wring, I have been itching to get this thing finally wet, however, I promised myself that it won’t happen until everything I have planned on is in place. Working on this dry is hard enough, I can’t imagine doing anything near the complexity when its full and running.

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really enjoying this thread and looking forward to seeing more and BTW I love the Aqua scape:)

Thanks, man, - hearing this from a seasoned reefer is encouraging. This is my first tank. If this all goes well, this will turn into a QT tank on steroids and I can graduate into something wall to wall.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 51.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.7%
Back