Mission Impossible: Reefer 250, 3 reactors, refugium, skimmer, lights, action! Pic heavy.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, guys, the Varios 6 humming is louder than our refrigerator that is 5 feet wide. I have traded emails with Carlos of CoralVue, he is responsive, but didn’t move the needle at all. Has not called me and immediately jumped to blaming manifold and reduction to 3/4” hard piping as contributors to back pressure. Not happy with their quick to blame approach (keep in mind, I told them that I have run the pump at all speeds from 10% to 100% in 10% increments, same noise level). They still think its the manifold/back pressure.

However, different story with the guys at @Bulk Reef Supply. Talked to them and ordered another Varios 6. Will be an easy swap, hope its the pump defect, at least I will be able to tell. However, if I continue to have the same problem, BRS offered to work with me on returning both pumps, buying Varios 4 and doing a store credit etc. Bought most of my stuff from BRS so far and they have just shown why I should continue to do so. First reach out to them with a dilemma and they were super helpful. Hoping to swap the pump on Sat and fingers crossed that the new one is quiet. I can then send the defective one to Carlos with a nice “its not the manifold” note.

On a separate subject, great feedback from Ecotech customer service on noisy MP40. They said if it doesn't break in in 2 weeks, they will send a replacement wet side.
This is a little late but I'm calling BS on the back pressure. I run a S8 and a S6, both choked back by manifolds. They are DEAD silent.
MVIMG_20180502_193603.jpg

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a little late but I'm calling crap on the back pressure. I run a S8 and a S6, both choked back by manifolds. They are DEAD silent.
MVIMG_20180502_193603.jpg
Looks great! I dont know whats wrong with mine. I actually went ahead and bought Varios 4. Just installed it 2 days ago, still humming noise. Not as bad as Varios 6, but not silent. I think it might be due to Spears backflow valve. Perhaps water runnign though the valve flapper causes noise. I don’t know. Kind of gave up. Using Varios 4 now, sending 2 Varios 6’s back to BRS (bought a second one to make sure the first one wasnt defective).

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I dont know whats wrong with mine. I actually went ahead and bought Varios 4. Just installed it 2 days ago, still humming noise. Not as bad as Varios 6, but not silent. I think it might be due to Spears backflow valve. Perhaps water runnign though the valve flapper causes noise. I don’t know. Kind of gave up. Using Varios 4 now, sending 2 Varios 6’s back to BRS (bought a second one to make sure the first one wasnt defective).
Buzzing is certainly not cool but the back pressure excuse is silly. That S8 is running a reefer 525 and two 20s at the same time. I do not have a backflow preventer in the system so I can't speak to that. One thing that might be worth trying is hanging the pump so that it doesn't touch the bottom of the tank. Could be vibration?

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buzzing is certainly not cool but the back pressure excuse is silly. That S8 is running a reefer 525 and two 20s at the same time. I do not have a backflow preventer in the system so I can't speak to that. One thing that might be worth trying is hanging the pump so that it doesn't touch the bottom of the tank. Could be vibration?

Thanks, will try suspending it. See what happens.

Jen_h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, got my Reeflink setup. I have these two MP40s on sides, one slightly below the other. Can someone please share your schedules? My head is spinning looking at all the options, tidal swell, reefcrest, etc etc. i have not decided on corals, but I like zoas and other soft stuff that moves with water movement. also, thinking about running these MP40s at 20%, thoughts?

I have a reefer 350 with 2 mp-40’s. The three options I use the most is reef crest, lagoon and nutrient export. I run both at about 60%. Once the lights go off I knock it down to about 45%. My tank is mostly acros but I do have lps and zoas as well!

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Butuz are those media reactors the 4x10" reactors. Also does the top and bottom plates on the outsides of the sponges move up and down so you can compress media if you want?

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, ended up changing the QT tank, removed live rock, read about copper leeching from Cupramine etc. also, bought a basic Hydor Koralia 240 powerhead, Fluval hang on filtration etc. Waiting for Chihiros A Series LED, then she is good. Let me tell you, setting up a 65g vs 10g isn’t 6 times the effort, more like 600 times! Only took a few hours between Petco and HomeDepot run + Amazon to get 10g done.

9C070D29-F06F-44BC-A1CE-BE75B730E047.jpeg

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say Man, for a new reefer you have most certainly built a well thought out and tight system. Im very impressed with it.

Thanks, man. Tight is right, was measuring things in mm! Now researching livestock etc. plumbing is easy, live stock is intimidating when I am responsible for life or death or tank crash! Will take it slow with QT. Also, will add algeabarn 10,000 copepods this weekend to get them setup. Hoping to get the first few fish into display by Christmas, - promised that to our two boys, they are anxious (13 and 8 yo).

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, need your input please. I’d like to mount the holder for dosing tubes. As you have seen, kind of running out of space! Also trying to keep it organized. Since my dosing container is on the right of the sump and since I will be mounting the eKoral doser to the panel above the refugium, I am thinking about the positioning in the pic below. I need it slightly higher where it is otherwise it will get in the way when removing the refugium. The only downside I see is that the dosing liquid will drop and travel 5-6 inches before it hits the water. Any downside? Thoughts? I dont want to mount it to the sump wall since then the tubes will be all over the place. The current way, they go up from the dosing container to the doser and straight down to the sump. Appreciate the feedback.

230C3622-C732-4297-9EE9-4196773A49BD.jpeg
2BB315DB-D23D-419B-9937-24510A9162AB.jpeg
Little late on the response. A couple of considerations. First anything dosed should be in the highest flow area of the sump for optimal disbursement. Secondly both kalk and carbon sources like N0P0x and Vodka will often clump around the dosing tube if under water. Other stuff may as well. So dosing by dropping into the water is probably best. 4" is probably NOT enough height to create much of a splash so Ill bet ten bucks your good to go ;)

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little late on the response. A couple of considerations. First anything dosed should be in the highest flow area of the sump for optimal disbursement. Secondly both kalk and carbon sources like N0P0x and Vodka will often clump around the dosing tube if under water. Other stuff may as well. So dosing by dropping into the water is probably best. 4" is probably NOT enough height to create much of a splash so Ill bet ten bucks your good to go ;)

Thanks, believe it or not, I did a 4” drop test, no splashing!

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, man. Tight is right, was measuring things in mm! Now researching livestock etc. plumbing is easy, live stock is intimidating when I am responsible for life or death or tank crash! Will take it slow with QT. Also, will add algeabarn 10,000 copepods this weekend to get them setup. Hoping to get the first few fish into display by Christmas, - promised that to our two boys, they are anxious (13 and 8 yo).
You should be fine by Christmas. Many new reefers totally ignore the need to be patient with cycling a tank. Can you do it wicked fast with bacteria and carbon? Yes, but for months you may have all sorts of small problems. Taking your time is perfect. You may be good for a couple of clowns or small fish in 6 weeks or so.

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cody Clark yes, those are 4x10. Here is a link where you can choose/buy other sizes. https://www.aquariumspecialty.com/biotek-marine-bio-series-media-reactors.html

Correct, the inner plates work so you can adjust. For example, in one of them, I only have a small cup of carbon.
nice thanks! I am going to buy 1 for carbon I think but I'm gonna get their blue ones. They match my whole setup! Ill post here when it all gets plumbed. Should be doing the majority of it this week! Pretty pumped. Hoping to emulate the cleanliness you have with yours!

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, take a look at these pics. Seeing green (algea I assume) on the rocks. Not hairy, almost like bright green dust. I overdosed phyto 3 days ago, could that be causing it? Should I let it stay like that or deal with it? If so, clean up crew or somethig else? Otherwise, no diatoms or anything else, the water is crystal clear too. Cycle completed a few weeks ago, no nitrites or ammonia. I have no livestock or any corals yet, want to mature the tank for another month. Thanks.

E3CE551B-03ED-4654-955C-3A3D1CC9D7F3.jpeg

B92AE9EF-DB70-4706-9B47-A42C5AAC833C.jpeg

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, take a look at these pics. Seeing green (algea I assume) on the rocks. Not hairy, almost like bright green dust. I overdosed phyto 3 days ago, could that be causing it? Should I let it stay like that or deal with it? If so, clean up crew or somethig else? Otherwise, no diatoms or anything else, the water is crystal clear too. Cycle completed a few weeks ago, no nitrites or ammonia. I have no livestock or any corals yet, want to mature the tank for another month. Thanks.

I really like keeping the lights completely off during this phase of a new tank - even blackout paper around the glass. Don't give algae any excuse to get started.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back