Mixed Reef Nano *HYBRID INCOMING*

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being out of the hobby for over a year,I decided to get back into the hobby. I miss having a tank,especially a acro dominated nano.

Tank: Aquamaxx 9g Cuboid AIO

Light: Tek 2' 4 bulb T5 turned into a hybrid,3 channel diy led light:

-Storm Controller
-StevesLeds 3up LDD board
-48v PSU
-2X NanoBoxLed Beam Glow strips (True Blue,Hyper Violet,Royal Blue split into 2 channels. Channel 1- 4x Luxeon T Royal Blue,2x SemiLed 430nm,Channel 2- 4x Luxeon T Royal Blue,2x Luxeon Rebel True Blue.)
-1x SemiLed 390-400nm,1x SemiLed 400-410nm,1x SemiLed 445nm,1x SemiLed 410-420nm,1x SemiLed 430nm

Flow: Sicce .5 paired with 2x ¼" VCA RFG and an MP10.

ATO: TBD

20220513_222209.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures!

Once things start rolling in,I will post pictures. I am waiting on the mp10,sicce and vca rfg's to come in at the moment. This weekend I will go grab the tank and order the acrylic and black silicone.

Thw light a buddy has,and I will be getting from his shortly.

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats alot of light for a 5g system.
I run 2 16hds on my 20g nano acro cube.
20220418_153103.jpg

How is it too much light when it can be dimmed ? I am no noob to this,sorry if that comes off rude lol but its true. If I want 200-250 or more par on the sand bed,I easily can and thats the purpose.

My old 2g pico had 2 nanobox pucks,4x extra royals and 4x extra 400-430 diodes ran @ 80-90% for 12hrs a day and it was magic.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it too much light when it can be dimmed ? I am no noob to this,sorry if that comes off rude lol but its true. If I want 200-250 or more par on the sand bed,I easily can and thats the purpose.

My old 2g pico had 2 nanobox pucks,4x extra royals and 4x extra 400-430 diodes ran @ 80-90% for 12hrs a day and it was magic.
I never said to much! I said "alot of light" big difference. Run what you want its all good.

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said to much! I said "alot of light" big difference. Run what you want its all good.

Depending on how you look at it,it may or may not be a big difference. But,with the color rendition being absolute garbage on the prime,the xr15 fit the bill for what I want from my system.

When I had mine,I always wanted more. Even 1 warm white would do that fixture wonders,instead of 4 low CRI cool whites.

Not trying to take away what you have done with your tank,because it does look good. Gotra give credit where its due.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how you look at it,it may or may not be a big difference. But,with the color rendition being absolute garbage on the prime,the xr15 fit the bill for what I want from my system.

When I had mine,I always wanted more. Even 1 warm white would do that fixture wonders,instead of 4 low CRI cool whites.

Not trying to take away what you have done with your tank,because it does look good. Gotra give credit where its due.
Funny you said "color rendition is absolute garbage".
I started the nano tank because a friend said the 16's suck for acros.

I actually like them enough to convert my 45 frag system from halides to 3 16hds. I have better color with the 16's.

I ran halides on my 120 which I just took down. I replaced it with an 80g growout tank and will run all 16hds on that system too.

All my friends run Radions and they are an awesome light. I just wanted something different. I also have Orphek blue bars if I care to use them

My 36x24x12 frag system running 3 16's.
20220403_161640.jpg
20220403_161753.jpg

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you said "color rendition is absolute garbage".
I started the nano tank because a friend said the 16's suck for acros.

I actually like them enough to convert my 45 frag system from halides to 3 16hds. I have better color with the 16's.

I ran halides on my 120 which I just took down. I replaced it with an 80g growout tank and will run all 16hds on that system too.

All my friends run Radions and they are an awesome light. I just wanted something different. I also have Orphek blue bars if I care to use them

My 36x24x12 frag system running 3 16's.
20220403_161640.jpg
20220403_161753.jpg

Hey,if you like them and they work for YOU then that is awesome. Its your tank,and you are able to run whatever equipment you please. Thats the beauty of this.

Your acro's do look good though,so good job there.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone running 16hds take a look at this company, Luxdium out of the bayarea. They just completed testing of their full puck replacement and should have them available to the public soon.
For under $100 you will be able to upgrade your light by replacing your puck. The app will still work also.
Another reason to give these a try as you can upgrade your system without having to purchase a complete system.
As much as I like the 16's I am going to give them a try one day.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone running 16hds take a look at this company, Luxdium out of the bayarea. They just completed testing of their full puck replacement and should have them available to the public soon.
For under $100 you will be able to upgrade your light by replacing your puck. The app will still work also.
Another reason to give these a try as you can upgrade your system without having to purchase a complete system.
I like the 16's, at its price point its a great light, with a good range of colors. Of course a more expensive light will have more bang for the $ but so will the 16's over most black box lights. I usually overkill everything but sometimes its just not necessary to achieve great results.

I had mine in the front room and they would catch my eye, they were a bit blinding, to bad they couldn't set the diodes a little deeper in the fixture, or offer a bolt on shroud around 2" to block some of the light spill.

great light overall ill have to look into the puck replacement you mentioned.

I love your tanks too, awesome work!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the 16's, at its price point its a great light, with a good range of colors. Of course a more expensive light will have more bang for the $ but so will the 16's over most black box lights. I usually overkill everything but sometimes its just not necessary to achieve great results.

I had mine in the front room and they would catch my eye, they were a bit blinding, to bad they couldn't set the diodes a little deeper in the fixture, or offer a bolt on shroud around 2" to block some of the light spill.

great light overall ill have to look into the puck replacement you mentioned.

I love your tanks too, awesome work!
Thanks. They make a shroud for them. Check ebay. Just dont use the diffuser as they are par killers from what I have read.

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am waiting on a response from them on IG. But this could literally be game changing for the Primes 110%

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back