Mixed reef success

  • Thread starter Thread starter Scottm032
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Scottm032

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2019
Messages
46
Reaction score
45
Location
Ormond Beach
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had great success in the past with mixed reef. I had fast growing high end sps full of color, bounce mushrooms and high end chalice kicking butt. My tank only sufferred when I bought a boat and neglected the **** out of it.

I am restarting another mixed tank. The main difference is this Reefmat. In the past I kept filter socks and rarely cleaned them. Lots of sludge in my sump. This reefmat is great but I have noticed my nutrients are all but gone. Very low and sometimes undetectable. I started with zoas, some lower end chalice and 2 sticks. A cherry bomb and a pink floyd. Everything is ok but not to my liking. I am hoping my tank will mature some, win my confidence, and I will add more expensive corals.

I have had this tank for 10 years. I removed some old rock, added some of the dry stuff and cleaned a lot of the old stuff killing off the biological benefit in a large way. I am still waiting for some coraline to develop.

So my question is can I eventually keep high end bounce mushrooms, chalice, sps, etc in a tank with almost undetectable nutrients? I have never attempted this and am wondering if you guys are having success with ULNS mixed reef systems.
 
I had a smiliar issue with low/zero nutrients. Nothing was thriving for me. I was running a reefmat, skimmer and algae turf scrubber. I removed the skimmer and algae turf scrubber and the issue resolved. I did add an airstone in the sump for oxygenation since the skimmer also functions as a gas exchange device.

Others may currently have success with low nutrient systems; if that's your goal I'm sure others can chime in.

Best of luck with your new system!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new