Mixing Anthias -suggestions

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted advice regarding adding/mixing anthias. I have Bartletts and am very happy with them.
I wondered if I could add a new trio of different anthias to my tank.
I will take any suggestions whether it be -"the best anthias to add to my tank." OR
- "no, don't do it-stick to Bartletts only"
Here are a few I like...
Lyretail Anthias (1 male & 2 females....or 3 females & wait for one to change to male)??
I also love the looks of the squareback male with some females.

Can you suggest an anthias where aggression would not take place between the Bartlett & the newcomers?

Thank you

Current stock:
-Whitetail bristletooth tang
-Longnose hawkfish
-Pixy Hawkfish
-1 male / 4 female Bartlett Anthias
-1 male / 3 female McCoskers Flasher wrasse
-one small YWG
-one blue spotted jawfish
300 gal tank

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The squammipinnis will work. Both them and the bartletts are comparable in behavior.

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The squammipinnis will work. Both them and the bartletts are comparable in behavior.
Thank you!
I know you are very knowledgeable on a great many fish species. I've seen male lyretails that look more orange with reddish accents and then the purple males with red accents. I want a male that will be purple. I'm fine to get juvis and watch one transform to a male.
But I don't know what region has the purple males - is it the ones from Fiji only?
Are the African and Maldives variety more red/orange?
I've heard people refer to P.cheirospilos but only seen this online. I like the P.squammipinnis. Just would like the purple variety male.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
I know you are very knowledgeable on a great many fish species. I've seen male lyretails that look more orange with reddish accents and then the purple males with red accents. I want a male that will be purple. I'm fine to get juvis and watch one transform to a male.
But I don't know what region has the purple males - is it the ones from Fiji only?
Are the African and Maldives variety more red/orange?
I've heard people refer to P.cheirospilos but only seen this online. I like the P.squammipinnis. Just would like the purple variety male.
P. cheirospilos isn't currently recognized as valid in scientific literature, but can be useful for hobbyists.

If you are looking for a more purple squammi, those found in the waters East of Australia are what you would be looking for.

The ones in the Western Indian Ocean, Maldives, Kenya, etc will be bright red with the yellow spotting.

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P. cheirospilos isn't currently recognized as valid in scientific literature, but can be useful for hobbyists.

If you are looking for a more purple squammi, those found in the waters East of Australia are what you would be looking for.

The ones in the Western Indian Ocean, Maldives, Kenya, etc will be bright red with the yellow spotting.
Thanks-always enjoy reading your posts.

Back