Mixing brands?

new2mac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium is running on RedSea salt and additives but accidentally now I have some amount of Mg from AquaForest. Do you think there could be a problem to use AF MG with RS Ca and Kh buffer?

thanks

Reef Jeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I have mixed and matched brands. I'm sure you know this but for those who don't, the important thing is to test before you dose to make sure you really need to add it, and wait at least 10 minutes or more before adding the next type. Most brands recommend they be added in this order: Magnesium, then alkalinity, then calcium. This prevents precipitation and other unwanted interactions.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other, more complicated issue is that many commercial two parts have magnesium in the calcium part (e.g., B-ionic), so you would generally not need or want to use an additional magnesium part along with it.

FWIW, the DIY recipes are designed for a specific magnesium addition based on the alk and calcium additions, and if folks dosed that without measuring magnesium it is likely fine, since in most commercial two parts that amount (or something close to it) is already included and folks just do not see it.

OP
OP
new2mac

new2mac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you do not try to mix them, this particular combination should be fine.

Same here. I have mixed and matched brands. I'm sure you know this but for those who don't, the important thing is to test before you dose to make sure you really need to add it, and wait at least 10 minutes or more before adding the next type. Most brands recommend they be added in this order: Magnesium, then alkalinity, then calcium. This prevents precipitation and other unwanted interactions.

Randy, Reef Jeff, thank you very much for prompt reply, feel safer now. I dose those 3 separated by 2 hrs between and certainly test before any dosing. In fact I cannot imagine how one can dose not knowing first what system needs.
Good to know on Mg in 2 part dosing, thanks for that info too.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back