MIXING CLOWNFISH

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a single male black ice clown and was wondering if i could add a orange storm clown. not sure if it is male or female. i was going to put the new clown in a acclimation container and see how that works. looking for any expert advice.thanks.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you assuming its a male ?
How long has yours been alone for ?
If it’s for sure a male then your gonna need a bigger clown than you have now

OP
OP
chum

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you assuming its a male ?
How long has yours been alone for ?
If it’s for sure a male then your gonna need a bigger clown than you have now
i lost my female last week so i assume it is still a male. thanks.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you’ll need a bigger one then

OP
OP
chum

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up chum! How big is your clownfish now buddy and how long did you have the 2 together.
the male is 1.25 and they were together at the lfs since jan. she was thin when i got her and could only get her to eat a little bit. i got up one morning and she was gone. trying to decide if i can add another one or if i should just get a different pair. i luck this little guy so i am trying to see if i can mix him with another. hope you guys are doing well.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your clownfish :(
We are definitely doing good, trying to get our biocube set up:). I agree with DSC, just get one the same size and they can figure out who will become the next female.

OP
OP
chum

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for every ones help. still not sure if i am going just get another pair or try and add one. the longer i have this clown the more i do not want to get rid of him. i really like the orange storms though.

Fotocha

I have nightmares of jumping fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for every ones help. still not sure if i am going just get another pair or try and add one. the longer i have this clown the more i do not want to get rid of him. i really like the orange storms though.

It's easier to do when they're younger for sure. Mine are mixed as well. They got along great from day 1. When I picked the new clown out, I tried to study the temperament. Was it aggressive or perhaps being chased? I ended getting one that appeared neutral. I have no idea, if this is the best idea in mind, but that's what I was looking for. Worked great! 2 Peas in a Pod.

OP
OP
chum

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's easier to do when they're younger for sure. Mine are mixed as well. They got along great from day 1. When I picked the new clown out, I tried to study the temperament. Was it aggressive or perhaps being chased? I ended getting one that appeared neutral. I have no idea, if this is the best idea in mind, but that's what I was looking for. Worked great! 2 Peas in a Pod.
thanks for the info. thats good to know. still not sure which way i am going. i called my lfs about pricing for a storm pair and he said he would let me know. i did find a store about 45 minutes from me who has a single orange storm for sale so i could try and pair it with my old one. the only thing is my lfs owes me $50 towards a replacement clown. he had told me last week his storms were $200 for a single where as the other store told me $145 for his single or $225 for a pair.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back